What's new

IPV6 Firewall Allow Ports 80 & 443 Through to NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GHammer

Very Senior Member
I have tried to get this working, but failed to get traffic through to the webserver I run on a local NAS.
This works fine via IPV4, but not via IPV6.

I have DNS set and I see packets being dropped from external sources, so the traffic is at least reaching the router.

Here's a sample of a dropped packet log.
Code:
Aug 17 14:50:27 kernel: DROP IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=2c:fd:a1:a1:e5:f8:f8:b7:e2:04:7c:22:86:dd SRC=2a04:b900:0000:0100:0000:0000:0000:0028 DST=2001:0558:6017:01a4:34a7:8c78:d117:ee12 LEN=80 TC=32 HOPLIMIT=55 FLOWLBL=855469 PROTO=TCP SPT=26370 DPT=443 SEQ=2580151939 ACK=0 WINDOW=65535 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 OPT

I have put the NAS local IP into the IPV6 firewall but, still see the drop.

Where have I went wrong?

Is the dropped destination your NAS's IP or your router's IP?

You can double check the firewall rules with ip6tables:

Code:
ip6tables -L -vn

Is the dropped destination your NAS's IP or your router's IP?

You can double check the firewall rules with ip6tables:

Code:
ip6tables -L -vn

Looks like the router's IP.
Here's the output from ip6tables:

Code:
Chain FORWARD (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)

0     0 ACCEPT     tcp      *      *       ::/0                 2601:19b:4800:2121::/64  state NEW tcp dpt:80
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp      *      *       ::/0                 2601:19b:4800:2121::/64  state NEW tcp dpt:443

Make sure you connect using the NAS's IP, not with the router's IP. Don't forget that IPv6 is not NATed, it's routed.

Make sure you connect using the NAS's IP, not with the router's IP. Don't forget that IPv6 is not NATed, it's routed.
The NAS has only a local IP, which is asked for in the firewall config UI.

So, how would traffic from the Internet get to the NAS via IPV6 then? I need an extra static public IP?

The NAS has only a local IP, which is asked for in the firewall config UI.

So, how would traffic from the Internet get to the NAS via IPV6 then? I need an extra static public IP?

Your NAS would need its own IPv6, yes. Typically, the ISP will give you one "front" IP for your router, and delegate a whole prefix (generally a /64) to use on all your LAN devices.

Your NAS would need its own IPv6, yes. Typically, the ISP will give you one "front" IP for your router, and delegate a whole prefix (generally a /64) to use on all your LAN devices.

Thank you, I'll look into this and see if Comcast has provided me a /64
I read too much into 'Local IP'

No, it looks like a /128

Code:
/128 Scope:Global

Someone with Comcast might be better able to help you there. I'd be surprised that they only provided a single /128, since that's not how IPv6 is intended to work.

Geesh!
Could I be sillier!?

Last edited:
No, I couldn't be sillier!
I had the router in stateless mode. Of course I'm only going to get local...

Disregard this entire thread, except for the caveat 'Double check config when things make no sense'