What's new

IPV6 Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SilentStorm

Regular Contributor
Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible to receive an IPV6 address with this current setup?

1613667298718.png

I'm unable to put the Gateway into bridge mode as it's not something the family can agree on.

If your ISP modem/router has IPV6 access then yes you should be able to set up IPV6 on your Asus router. Use a connection type of Native with DHCPD-PD enabled. Your call to manually add DNS servers.
I would also turn off the WIFI in the ISP router and use the Asus WIFI.
Don't ask the family if this is OK just do it. Tell them it is for their internet safety. And if you can bridge the modem router this is better as you will not have double NAT (better for games).

'Family' doesn't have a say on such matters. The internet has moved on. :)

IPv6 isn't an option today. If your ISP offers it, use it to your benefit.

If your ISP modem/router has IPV6 access then yes you should be able to set up IPV6 on your Asus router. Use a connection type of Native with DHCPD-PD enabled. Your call to manually add DNS servers.
I would also turn off the WIFI in the ISP router and use the Asus WIFI.
Don't ask the family if this is OK just do it. Tell them it is for their internet safety. And if you can bridge the modem router this is better as you will not have double NAT (better for games).
So I'm currently double NAT. I have IPV6 enabled on the Asus router but it's not assigning my computer an IPV6 address in the current setup. Does that have anything to do with it?

So the family isn't approving it because of where everything would be located. There is a gaming computer in the basement as well as a PlayStation. Both require LAN cables. PS4 doesn't have a good enough WiFi chip to connect remotely to the Router unfortunately.

I've been debating a network switch that I can connect to the router, that way both the PS4 and computer can be hardwired, but wouldn't that impact the CakeQoS?

Did you put the asus router into 'repeater mode'? I have a old asus router in this mode and I have problems with ipv6.
The router does not have an ipv6 address but it does forward ICMPv6 Router Advertisment. Clients connecting to the repeater get a ipv6 address but cannot use it. It looks like the repeater does not forward ipv6 traffic.

This is very annoying as it takes a while for e.g. a web browser to detect that it cannot use the ipv6 address.

Did you put the asus router into 'repeater mode'? I have a old asus router in this mode and I have problems with ipv6.
The router does not have an ipv6 address but it does forward ICMPv6 Router Advertisment. Clients connecting to the repeater get a ipv6 address but cannot use it. It looks like the repeater does not forward ipv6 traffic.

This is very annoying as it takes a while for e.g. a web browser to detect that it cannot use the ipv6 address.
No, it is not in repeater mode. It's in its Wireless Mode.

FlexQoS has not really worked for me, still getting lots of bufferbloat despite attempting to try so many options, even when using fq_codel. CakeQoS has been spectacular for me. The problem is, it won't exceed 300mb, which is why I'm in the setup I currently am. Can't get family to agree on it.

Buffer Bloat is only a issue when your connection is maxed out. So unless your connection is always in a maxed out state it's a non issue. There are more important things in life to worry about BB is not on the list.

No, it is not in repeater mode. It's in its Wireless Mode.

FlexQoS has not really worked for me, still getting lots of bufferbloat despite attempting to try so many options, even when using fq_codel. CakeQoS has been spectacular for me. The problem is, it won't exceed 300mb, which is why I'm in the setup I currently am. Can't get family to agree on it.
But the thread is about ipv6?

QoS in your asus router will not know about everything else in the house. If e.g. the work laptop overloads the upload connection on the isp gateway there is little the asus router can do about it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!