What's new

Solved IPv6 prefix issue with RT AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

plush19

Occasional Visitor
Afternoon strangers,

I had to take my Asus router out of the mix so they could see a strange issue that was stopping the router getting the correct IPv6 prefix (/64 but should be /48). Previously router was asking the exchange for a internal 100.x.y.z allocation so the ISP patched a fix in order to give me a proper external IP allocation (86.x.y.z).

The IPv4 issue and fix may have caused the previous IPv6 connection issue but the ISP isn't confirming this either way.
I've used the RT-N66U and RT AC68U with @RMerlin firmware beforehand with stability issues.

Should I do the nuclear reset recommended by @L&LD before reemploying the router or is there something more serious?

The router discussed above is a Asus RT AC86U with AsussWRT-Merlin 384.19 flashed. WiFi mesh supplied a number of Plume SuperPods.

Regards, K.

There is no reason to do the nuclear reset. If you must reset the router use the WPS reset method.
Power the router off.
Pressing the WPS button power the router on.
When the power LED goes off, turn off the power then turn it on again.

Whether or not a Nuclear Reset is needed depends on many factors. Does the issue continue if/when you connect the RT-AC68U again into the network? When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults? If more than 3 or 4 firmware versions ago and these issues cropped up, that is a good indication to me one may be needed.

Those Plume SuperPods, look like a serious investment (with one for every second room recommended) in addition to a subscription? Is there any issue when they are not plugged into the network?

You may spend a few hours or weeks asking for a fix that may never come. A Nuclear Reset (don't do just the RT-AC68U, make sure you fully reset all your networking equipment at the same time) takes less than an hour if you are organized and focused.

I haven't given the RT AC86U (not the AC 68U which is stored in a drawer) a WPS hard reset since April just before the upgrade from cable (DOCSIS 3.0) to FTTH fibre in May, I should of done a hard reset before messaging a complaint to the ISP about the internal IP issue resulting in the issuing the initial fix

Three SuperPods are included with the fibre plan so the investment is pretty much free.

Depending on how big your home is, the investment may be 'free' (although it is just included in the price) in the SuperPods, but they may have a cost in your WiFi experience though. :)

Depending on what firmware you were running in April, it may be time to do a full reset now.

I also flashed the most recent stock 384 and 386 builds to see if they'll fix the then ongoing issue, probably a bad idea too.

I'll will try a WPS hard reset, restore to deafults with the initilise button ticked and then "format JFFS partion on next boot" (in that order)- all woith USB drive not in situ :)

I always have found the RMerlin builds more stable than the stock Asus firmware until now.

Regards, K.

Any tips before I start the above procedure and any way to force a /48 prefix if the previous issue reapers?

Regards, K.

The above issue is now resolved, thanks to all who helped!! :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!