What's new

IPV6 Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SilentStorm

Regular Contributor
Hey everyone,

I have an awkward set up at home, and I'm currently struggling to figure out if I can use IPV6 or not, as the router is not giving me one.

Right now, I'm using my ISP's gateway (Arris XB6) as I'm not allowed to use my own gear there. I then have a second router connected to the gateway and is providing a second network. I DO NOT have Bridge Mode enabled. At this point in time, it is not something I can do as a result of my current setup, so that is essentially ruled out. My second router is an ASUS Rog GT AC2900. When I tried having it in "Access Point" mode, it disabled the QoS settings which I do need.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can enable XB6 through this set up? Apologies for my lack of knowledge here. Any help would be appreciated.

Provide a diagram of how the network is connected today.

Bridging the ISP's modem/router hardware is key to a useful network, IMO.

Sure. I'll provide a diagram later today.

1612644917473.png

Here is a diagram of my current network. Again, bridge mode is unfortunately not an option for me at the moment, as based off the location of everything in our house, it's going to mess a lot of things up.

Making the Asus Router an access point removes QoS functions from the router, so that's not an option either. I've done a little bit of digging and some people are saying requesting a different prefix from your ISP solves this issue? The current prefix is /64. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm aware this is a double NAT situation, I'm also confused as to how to get around that. Not sure if this significantly impacts gaming performance or not. As of right now, I have put the Asus Router in DMZ, and done all the other port forwarding through the Asus Router, which is giving me Open NAT.