What's new

IPv6 Setup Help ASUS Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ajc822000

New Around Here
I’m trying to set up IPv6 on my new ASUS RT-AX86U running Merlin 386.2_6. My ISP is a local city owned fiber (Fort Collins Connexion). So far all they can confirm is that that support IPv6 but have been no help in providing any setup information. I’m not sure their tech support even knows how. I’ve tried all the different modes in the router and the only one that works is passthrough which I’ve heard is not the best option. Native doesn’t work at all. Is it ok to use passthrough? Any ideas?

Last edited:
I’m trying to set up IPv6 on my new ASUS RT-AX86U running Merlin 386.2_6. My ISP is a local city owned fiber (Fort Collins Connexion). So far all they can confirm is that that support IPv6 but have been no help in providing any setup information. I’m not sure their tech support even knows how. I’ve tried all the different modes in the router and the only one that works is passthrough which I’ve heard is not the best option. Native doesn’t work at all. Is it ok to use passthrough? Any ideas?
What is your modem setup? are you using ISP modem (in bridge mode) or self bought modem?

2 things to consider :
does your ISP modem support ipv6? -> if it does, is it turned on from within the ISP modem? -> If it is turned on, then maybe you should consider testing passthrough.

does your self bought modem support ipv6?-> Is your IP address static or dynamic? - >If it is static, you could be dealing with a whole different ball park of ipv6 settings, but if it is dynamic, then you may only need native, but don't have it set right, unless your ISP uses a specific ipv6 method.

Conclusions ---> all roads lead back to your isp if you troubleshoot and come up with no solution from the above questions.

Last edited:
It’s an ISP provided modem made by Nokia. I assume it’s in bridge mode but they didn’t give me any information on how to access it. Passthrough does work and passes the IPv6 tests but I’ve heard that passthrough bypasses the routers firewall which may not be a good idea. I’m new to all this so I may just not understand everything correctly.

Last edited:
It’s an ISP provided modem made by Nokia. I assume it’s in bridge mode but they didn’t give me any information on how to access it. Passthrough does work and passes the IPv6 tests but I’ve heard that passthrough bypasses the routers firewall which may not be a good idea. I’m new to all this so I may just not understand everything correctly.
passthrough should work fine for you then. it sounds like you are in some type of double nat with your ISP modem, which means you should be fine to use passthrough.

WAN IP 192.168.10.64
No specific reason. Just trying to figure out why it wasn’t working.
As i said, Double Nat. @Tech9

@ajc822000

As @Tech9 was alluding to, your Wan IP indicates an ip- address belonging to a private network. This shows your modem is in a Nat scenario creating a double NAT with your Asus router. This is not a problem. It just makes configuration alittle more tricky. (i.e IPV6 must be treated with passthrough). You may in the future have issues requiring portforwarding if Universal plug and play gives you issues.

It seems I brought more gasoline to this topic

here ~ https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ipv6-native-vs-passthrough-2-router-lan.67279/

Cheers and Good Luck and Best Regards!

It seems I brought more gasoline to this topic

here ~ https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ipv6-native-vs-passthrough-2-router-lan.67279/

Cheers and Good Luck and Best Regards!
Looks like you’re right about the double nat. I was able to access the ISP modem and it is not in bridge mode. It’s in route mode for all the lan ports. It won’t even let me put it in bridge mode as those options are grayed out. Is it worth contacting my ISP again to see if they can put it in bridge mode?

Looks like you’re right about the double nat. I was able to access the ISP modem and it is not in bridge mode. It’s in route mode for all the lan ports. It won’t even let me put it in bridge mode as those options are grayed out. Is it worth contacting my ISP again to see if they can put it in bridge mode?
You are welcome to, but if they can't- maybe just run with the double-nat after-all if everything works then it is fine. Visit the Asuswrt-Merlin tabs and the collective community will help you either way. Choose the path of least resistance if it works.

You are welcome to, but if they can't- maybe just run with the double-nat after-all if everything works then it is fine. Visit the Asuswrt-Merlin tabs and the collective community will help you either way. Choose the path of least resistance if it works.

Thanks again for your help. My ISP was able to put the provided modem in bridge mode and now IPv6 works on native. One final question. Do the setting attached look correct or is there anything I should change?

Attachments

• E71BB392-7CEE-4ADF-AE97-BA6309EFDAFA.png
    E71BB392-7CEE-4ADF-AE97-BA6309EFDAFA.png
    177.9 KB · Views: 737
The attached screenshot is too small, but looks like you've got IPv6 address assigned to your router. Now be careful with IPv4 DNS filtering services and VPN clients. Your devices may/will go around them using IPv6. That was the reason I asked you why do you want IPv6 enabled. It makes network management harder and anything IPv6 related in Asuswrt-Merlin you have to test yourself. There is no performance benefits in using IPv6.

Thanks for the info. Since there are no performance benefits I will probably disable IPv6 now that I know it at least works.