What's new

IPv6: SLAAC and Prefix Delegation settings?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thinius

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, though I've been using this forum a lot already as a great resource of information. Thanks to all contributors!

The student village I live in recently changed ISP to one that does not give out public IPv4 adresses to each user, they are doing NAT instead. The only way I can get a public IP is by getting an IPv6 address.

The ISP supports both SLAAC and Prefix Delegation (PD with my own router). I do not know a lot about this, and some quick searching left me none the wiser. My question is, does the router support either of these, and what will be the corresponding settings?

My guess is that for PD, the settings will have to be "Connection type: Native" with DHCP-PD enabled. However, I cannot find any settings for SLAAC. Is it even supported on the router?

Another thing I should probably ask my ISP about, but feel free to add if you want: is one of these preferred over the other? Didn't really understand how I as an end user will be affected by either SLAAC or PD.

I'm running FW 380.65 on an RT-N66U.

The settings page:
ipv6_settings.png

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, though I've been using this forum a lot already as a great resource of information. Thanks to all contributors!

The student village I live in recently changed ISP to one that does not give out public IPv4 adresses to each user, they are doing NAT instead. The only way I can get a public IP is by getting an IPv6 address.

The ISP supports both SLAAC and Prefix Delegation (PD with my own router). I do not know a lot about this, and some quick searching left me none the wiser. My question is, does the router support either of these, and what will be the corresponding settings?

My guess is that for PD, the settings will have to be "Connection type: Native" with DHCP-PD enabled. However, I cannot find any settings for SLAAC. Is it even supported on the router?

Another thing I should probably ask my ISP about, but feel free to add if you want: is one of these preferred over the other? Didn't really understand how I as an end user will be affected by either SLAAC or PD.

I'm running FW 380.65 on an RT-N66U.

The settings page:
View attachment 8489

I would love an update on this, did you get it working?