What's new

IPv6 tunnel broken after power cycle in RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LEdwin

New Around Here
A couple days ago I upgraded my RT-AC5300 to 384.10 and everything worked fine. Then I decided to do factory reset and initialize all my settings, and here the IPv6 tunnel seems to be broken. My devices and router get the IPv6 but no internet connection. I must power cycle the router several times before it working again. And I found this error in the log
Code:
Apr  5 16:51:49 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface sit0 doesn't exist
Apr  5 16:51:49 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface v6tun0 doesn't exist

Is it hardware failure or just firmware related error? And any solution to fixed it without power cycling the router again and again?

A couple days ago I upgraded my RT-AC5300 to 384.10 and everything worked fine. Then I decided to do factory reset and initialize all my settings, and here the IPv6 tunnel seems to be broken. My devices and router get the IPv6 but no internet connection. I must power cycle the router several times before it working again. And I found this error in the log
Code:
Apr  5 16:51:49 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface sit0 doesn't exist
Apr  5 16:51:49 kernel: EMF_ERROR: Interface v6tun0 doesn't exist

Is it hardware failure or just firmware related error? And any solution to fixed it without power cycling the router again and again?

It does seem like a firmware error to me.

Did you use a backup config file?

no, I put all settings manually after resetting the router... and after factory reset before I put any config it already starting to behave like that.

no, I put all settings manually after resetting the router... and after factory reset before I put any config it already starting to behave like that.

You may want to wait until others have had a chance to respond, but if nothing else suggested works, I would recommend the following, done in the order indicated.
  • 'Format jffs partition on next boot' and reboot the router. Don't forget to hit the 'Apply' button at the bottom of the screen where that option is shown in the Administration, System section of the GUI.
  • Once the router reboots, let it sit idle for at least 5 minutes.
  • Pull the ac power plug from the router (not the ac wall socket). Wait at least two minutes.
  • Perform a WPS Erase by holding the WPS button and plugging in the ac power plug into the router (make sure you left the switch in the 'on' position. Keep holding until the router reboots and then leave it like this for as long as it takes to boot up (it will probably be slow).
  • Once you have performed a quick/temporary setup to secure the router and get past the wizard, go to the GUI section where you can do a reset to factory defaults and make sure you check the box that says to 'initialize all settings...' too.
  • Now, complete the setup wizard after it reboots and see if there are any issues without any additional customizations.
  • Leave the router idle for at least 10 minutes and then do a GUI reboot.
With any luck, there won't be any more issues at this point.

Start inputting your customizations one by one and testing as you go. Make sure to include a reboot after each change you introduce and don't forget to wait for at least 5 minutes after it has booted up to check for proper operation.

After the router's built-in firmware features are configured to your liking, and the router is working normally for a couple of more hours, including testing (everything configured) after a 5-minute wait window after a reboot, then add any custom scripts you use. Again, testing each one and all the previous changes you've made already.

Keep good notes and give us the relevant parts where (if) it starts to go south again. :)

seems everything is working fine now after following your instructions.
try to reboot it several times and no more error and the tunnel is up.
hopefully it will working fine from now on, I'll keep an eye out for any error...
Thanks for your help.

seems everything is working fine now after following your instructions.
try to reboot it several times and no more error and the tunnel is up.
hopefully it will working fine from now on, I'll keep an eye out for any error...
Thanks for your help.

You're welcome! Glad it helped. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online