What's new

is AsusWRT-MERLIN 388.2_2 (dd 7 May 2023) affected by the security issues fixed in 3.0.0.4.386.51665 (dd 18 May 2023)? - RT-AX56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The article specifically talks about phones and tablets however, they don`t mention other devices that also contain a firmware, like a smart TV or a router.
@RMerlin it's the first example I could find - it applies to all Electronics. If you want to dig into detail, download the legislation from the EU Website or do more research online. I think there's a grace period of 2-3 years to implement this.

I've been on the SNB forums for years and I believe this thread is one of the few that can piss off RMerlin, which I don't think even @Tech9 has ever done.

Anyway, before the EU law comes into effect, any company will pursue their best interests, even Apple, they did provide security updates for some of their iPhones for more than 7 years, but they have been unwilling to switch to USB-C, Because they earn $1 from each Lightning. Until the EU came along to end it all, this year's iPhone 15 series finally used USB-C.

I mean, a company that's great at software updates isn't necessarily great at anything, they're always pursuing their best interests, and we don't need to argue about their behavior here.

If we want to do something, email your local officials and ask them to push for right to repair and more legislation.

And don't forget to calm down, everyone. Arguments on the SNB forums cannot lead to any resolution. ;)

believe this thread is one of the few that can piss off RMerlin
No, I'm not pissed off, not even angry at all here. I just decided to comment because I have seen the same thing mentioned other times in the past.

All the OP wanted was some information from the horses mouth then that would've been it.

Looking at some of the replies they seem a bit pedantic and over the top than they need to be.

I'm sure if the OP wanted toxicity he could've just gone onto Facebook for that.

Not everyone is with it with technology and hardware and doesn't call for toxic replies.