What's new

Is AX86U firmware going to get better?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nikr

Regular Contributor
Let me start by saying that, I am not complaining and I do like this router a lot. I've had this for about two weeks, I do like all the extra info and config with asuswrt provides. But there are some bugs as well. This is relatively new product so some bug is expected.

Here are some of the bugs from the top of my head
1. Guest Wi-Fi rules does not seem to get applied every reboot. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not. Currently using YazFi as a workaround.
2. Traffic Analyzer stats report incorrect info. My Nest cam is uploading 24x7 but Traffic Analyzer says it my printer or my vacuum and not the cam itself.
3. Cannot add additional VPN users
4. HTTPS UI access very slow

what I am interested in knowing is can I ever expect these bugs to get resolved or do I have to learn to live with them. What is your experience with other Asus devices. Do firmware becomes more mature over time or it stays pretty much the same over the lifespan of the product. Ability to run alternate firmwares is really nice, but I personally prefer to sick to factory firmware, unless I really have to like in this case.

The Asus factory firmware is pretty good and the Merlin for this router is a lot better. Neither is perfect but...
1. What guest rules and do you really need them?
2. Not a show stopper unless you have monthly limit.
3. I can add additional VPN users on the server side. On Asus and Merlin firmware
4. Slow? then use http. It is inside your LAN and not a security issue.

Enjoy all the features you have with Asus. Or go to Netgear where you have no choices.

4. Make sure you have imported a valid certificate from your router into your browser otherwise it will be slow.

VPN user is a known bug that will be fixed in a later firmware.

I understand some of these bugs are going to get fixed sooner or later, some probably never and some are just happening in my setup. With more feature, there are more things that can go wrong. That is why I am just curious about how firmware evolves over time in general for Asus routers. Does it get better, worse or just stays about the same, just so that I know what to expect.

Last edited:
I understand some of these bugs are going to get fixed sooner or later, some probably never and some are just happening in my setup. With more feature, there are more things that can go wrong. That is why I am just curious about how firmware evolves over time in general for Asus routers. Does it get better, worse or just stays about the same, just so that I know what to expect.
Asus are pretty good at fixing bugs and evolving the functionality and features. They provide updates more frequently than many other brands in my experience, and also support their older models for quite a long time. One of the best things is that they use a common code base for most of their routers, so with the exception of model specific drivers etc, they keep the releases pretty much aligned across the majority of the range. They recently moved their supported router range to support AiMesh 2.0 including some routers which have been in support for many years and didn't have any mesh functionality when initially released.

A really great bonus is that they actively support RMerlin in his development of AsusWRT-Merlin which usually includes fixes for existing Asus bugs and extra features. Most manufacturers do their best to thwart third party firmware developers, Asus take the opposite approach and gain the benefit of rolling some of his development back into the official firmware from time to time.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!