What's new

Is my Asus RT-AC68U Bricked or just need a jiggle?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wallace_n_Gromit

One of my Asus RT-AC68U routers fails to power up. No lights at all. The actual power switch has the definate "click" noise and stays depressed when I press it on, and the definate "click" noise and stays out when I press it off. Assuming it's only a defective power switch how do I test for that? Or could it be a power cord fail/interface with the router power port. The power cord works to power other router(s). I've tried "jiggling" it around in the power-failed router, not even a flicker of lights.

I.e. would it be a simple matter of opening up the case/exchanging power switches from one router to another?

I had not used it for awhile. When I powered it up, some of the lights came on but didn't seem to be behaving/lighting up properly. When I powered it off then powered it up again, no lights came on at all.

what you described sounds like the router is working. you didn't mention if you actually tried to connect to it by ethernet or wireless to verify. I would not rely solely on the LEDs.

Did you try the other power adaptor on the router that doesn't boot up? It may make a difference.

If you don't need the config that it contains, hold the WPS button and keep holding it while applying power to it (make sure to unplug it for at least two minutes beforehand). After about 30 seconds, the router should reboot. Let go of the WPS button now and see if it boots up to the setup wizard.

what you described sounds like the router is working. you didn't mention if you actually tried to connect to it by ethernet or wireless to verify. I would not rely solely on the LEDs.

My initial thought when you wrote that was "D-oh! that is brilliant!" I had updated the extra router with latest firmware months before. It worked, I turned it off and set it aside. about 2 months ago when I thought I would power it up to install additional firmware updates, that's when I noticed the abnormal lights/behavior and finally no lights at all. So, just set it aside again.

So after your comments, that's what I did tried to do. I had set the router aside (still plugged in/powered/and no lights) today, while I perused the forums/threads looking for a thread describing a similar issue before starting this thread. Picking up the router NOW i see that there are two lights on... the Power light is solid on, and the internet light is solid on.

the 4 LAN lights are off and I cannot connect to the router or to the internet.

Did you try the other power adaptor on the router that doesn't boot up? It may make a difference.

If you don't need the config that it contains, hold the WPS button and keep holding it while applying power to it (make sure to unplug it for at least two minutes beforehand). After about 30 seconds, the router should reboot. Let go of the WPS button now and see if it boots up to the setup wizard.

The lights on the front panel vary as I power the router on/off. Sometimes, it is just the steady Power on light and dull flickering internet light. The first time I tried another asus power adapter, there was a bright flickering LAN 3 light in addition to the other two lights (My computer was connected to the LAN 1 port) o_O. Now its just the power light on. On two occasions, all 4 LAN lights came on . Just vary random behavior. I will try the WPS method in a few minutes.

EDIT: Oh, well, tried the WPS method. still not working. No big deal. I have post -it notes attached to the router with dates of firmware updates and when it finally failed to boot, 02/09/2020. Not a critical piece of equipment. Something to play with every few months in my spare time.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!