What's new

Is Roaming Assistant a Myth???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

<..> and my device will hardly ever jump off to the other AP. It'll go down to -80 and still not jump to the AP which is at -50. Only if I disconnect/reconnect will it jump to the proper AP.

Hi, sorry for my ignorance, but imo this is a problem about the device not the AP?

I was looking for the disconnection log entries in my routers to show them here:

roamast:_CAP,4F:80: determine candidate node [aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff](rssi: -66dbm) for client [aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff](rssi: -78dbm) to roam
roamast:_CAP,4F:80: eth7: disconnect weak signal strength station [aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff]
roamast:_CAP,4F:80: eth7: remove client [aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff] from monitor list

Last edited:
Hi, sorry for my ignorance, but imo this is a problem about the device not the AP?

I was looking for the disconnection log entries in my routers to show them here but as when I moved to merlin’s 384.14 final also changed to new usb 3.0 sticks I lost older logs, and don’t see them now... [emoji848]

Anyway, my three devices keep (more or less) the -70 signal level in their connected devices lists

Could be, I don't know. I assumed what it does it just disconnect the device which would force it to reconnect and when it did that, the device would pick the better AP. I assumed it does the same thing as when I turn off wireless and turn it back on, which by the way does connect to the closest AP.

What if the Router and the Access Point have different SSID (Network name) ?
Is Roaming Assistant still useful ?

The 802.11 spec states it's the client's job to decide where to connect and they do though sometimes they stick to the same AP. Kicking the client off causes the client to immediately run it's algorithm to decide where to connect. This decision is based on the client's the way the client's drivers are programed. Typically they take into account signal strength, potential speed and what other AP's signal strength and potential speed are. There is a feature that was first called "The Cisco Extension" that tells the client to run the algorithm and can also say go to this AP if possible. This extension has been adapted by both the IEEE and WiFi Alliance. I have no idea if Asus uses this before kicking the client off which is most effective at annoying the person using the client.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!