What's new

Is RT-AX86U being discontinued by ASUS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike-48

Occasional Visitor
ADDED NOTE: I bought this online from a merchant recommended by a friend. So my request for purchasing advice has been removed from this message. --Mike

Because of problems described elsewhere, I'm planning to replace my router. First choice is the ASUS RT-AX86U. The price on Amazon increased by nearly $100 (to $350) in a few days. ASUS's own shop doesn't list this model . . . at least one vendor calls it "discontinued." Is that right? Or just backordered?

Last edited:
I doubt it...the problem "probably" has to do with inflation in these rough times to include these so called "scalpers". They buy items in quantity and them sell these items 10x-40x more than their retail value. Just my guess haha or it can be due to this "chip" shortage going on all around!!!

You're best luck right now is probably buying thru newegg.com (though it's refurbished but still has Asus warranty, I think amd it's still in stock) for $250:

Refurbished: ASUS RT-AX86U AX5700 Dual Band WiFi 6 Gaming Router 802.11ax, up to 2500sq ft & 35+ Devices, Mobile Game Mode, Lifetime Free Internet Security, Mesh WiFi support, Gaming Port, Adaptive QoS (2nd hand) - Newegg.com

You need to be persistent and patient but the RT-AX86U does become available at online retailers. If you want one at retail cost you need to jump and get it. As I post this B&H Photo and Video has it new and in stock for $279 USD.

Is RT-AX86U being discontinued by ASUS?

Because of problems described elsewhere, I'm planning to replace my router. First choice is the ASUS RT-AX86U. The price on Amazon increased by nearly $100 (to $350) in a few days. ASUS's own shop doesn't list this model . . . at least one vendor calls it "discontinued." Is that right? Or just backordered?

No.

You need to study Amazon a bit more to understand what is going on... third-party price gouging, if they can source it. Just say 'no' to third party sellers on vendor websites unless you need something they've got really bad... bad enough to break principle, risk it, and pay for it.

Products are in short supply due to many reasons... read the news.

Meanwhile, watch your preferred vendors and when they have what you want in stock, buy it sooner than later.

B&H Photo is a solid vendor in the US... pay up and they will ship fast. Note that they shut down from Friday evening to Saturday evening for religious reasons.

asus rt-ax86u | B&H Photo Video (bhphotovideo.com)

ASUS RT-AX86U AX5700 Dual Band WiFi 6 Gaming Router - Newegg.com

Stock will go fast... it's Christmas and people want fix their home networks for work, school, gaming, streaming, idleness, and all their IoT junk... they think.

I don't recommend placing backorders.

OE

Last edited:
Before buying from B&H Photos, be sure that you understand their return policy. Because of that they're below both Best Buy and Amazon as my preferred electronics vendors. Newegg is at the bottom of the barrel for me, after costing me a good chunk of money on a return that should have been virtually free. I don't mind paying return postage for a return where the product isn't outright broken, but try not to pay more than that.

Prices went ballastic around Black Friday due to availability, purchased my AX86U from B&H Photo at the normal $279, its a Rocket right out of the box compared to my previous AC68U!!!

On backorder in most places here in Canada. It's hard to get shipments from China now and the price is much higher. Some retailers increased the price based on demand. Asus created self competition with AX86U - their own AX88U is harder to sell. We may see more AX86S offers from now on. See this:

Canada Computers has both the RT-AX86U and RT-AX86S in stock at the moment, with a 20-30$ rebate.

But overall, yes, that model has been getting harder to find in stock, due to a combination of shortages and popularity.

And newegg.com is out of stock in about 24-48 hours... right on schedule.

OE

B&H Photo is a solid vendor in the US... pay up and they will ship fast. Note that they shut down from Friday evening to Saturday evening for religious reasons.

B&H was recommended also by a photographer friend; I placed the order with them. I remember buying a camera from them ~50 years ago at their NYC store. (I got a painful parking ticket, teaching me a lesson never forgotten -- don't bet against New York Parking Enforcement!) I read the return policy, as suggested by @RogerSC.

Yes, I avoid Amazon 3d-party price gouging for several reasons. I rarely buy refurbished goods, as there's often a shorter warranty. Not sure if that's true in this case.

Thanks to all for comments! I hope to have the modem this week.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!