What's new

Is the RT-AC3200 even being updated by ASUS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

From ASUS (officially) or speculation?
neither nor, experience!
believe it or not (I know you dont want to accept it), but you will see it will happen exactly like I told you.

Last edited:
From ASUS (officially) or speculation?

Asus have responded to several users' queries about this stating that AiMesh won't be coming to the 87U or the 3200 due to technical issues.

Asus have responded to several users' queries about this stating that AiMesh won't be coming to the 87U or the 3200 due to technical issues.
I see :-( Would be good if ASUS stated so as well (officially) to end the speculation. Have 2 x RT-AC5300, 1 x GT-AC5300, 1 x RT-AC87U and 3 x RT-AC68U besides the RT-AC3200 so I'm OK (not mentioning the other ASUS routers I have), it's just irritating that the RT-AC3200 is quite a performer and one feels let down by ASUS in this case.

I see :-( Would be good if ASUS stated so as well (officially) to end the speculation. Have 2 x RT-AC5300, 1 x GT-AC5300, 1 x RT-AC87U and 3 x RT-AC68U besides the RT-AC3200 so I'm OK (not mentioning the other ASUS routers I have), it's just irritating that the RT-AC3200 is quite a performer and one feels let down by ASUS in this case.

Asus has 40-50 different router models, they can't start specifying every single model that will NOT get feature ABC.

So unless they officially announce that a model WILL be getting a certain feature, expect that it won't.

Asus has 40-50 different router models, they can't start specifying every single model that will NOT get feature ABC.

So unless they officially announce that a model WILL be getting a certain feature, expect that it won't.
I understand, thank you! Reason for asking is that there has been other users who have gotten the information that they would indeed release AiMesh firmware for the RT-AC3200 during Q4-2018.

I have just contacted ASUS because I too want to use my old RT-AC3200 as a repeater for AIMESH. The irony is that nearly all the other routers made the same time have AIMESH.

I have just contacted ASUS because I too want to use my old RT-AC3200 as a repeater for AIMESH. The irony is that nearly all the other routers made the same time have AIMESH.

It is simple really, the AC3200 is a unique router with a different hardware and software environment , just read around the forums , Merlin goes through hoops and no doubt spends many hours boiling frogs and newts in his cauldron to keep that model running his firmware for us.

ASUS are not to likely to invest that much time in a very limited market device.

It is simple really, the AC3200 is a unique router with a different hardware and software environment , just read around the forums , Merlin goes through hoops and no doubt spends many hours boiling frogs and newts in his cauldron to keep that model running his firmware for us.

ASUS are not to likely to invest that much time in a very limited market device.

For routers they can't be bothered with, not sure why they don't release source code to people like Merlin to continue development. They seem to have some communication channels open with him, so why not? This kind of modern approach would earn a lot of praise and publicity, and in turn shift more of their future products.

Perhaps people emailing them should be asking them for that instead of AIMesh support queries, it's pretty clear that the internal communication of this company is somewhat lacking. Perhaps AIMesh is impossible, or that it just requires more effort than they're prepared to invest.

Also, instead of emailing their useless email support, send one to their Co CEO's Samson Hu?

Last edited:
not sure why they don't release source code to people like Merlin to continue development

Because that code is proprietary, and cannot be shared/released. Anything from Broadcom for instance cannot be shared outside of Asus's own engineers.

As of right now, the RT-AC3200 will be EOL at RMerlin version 384.13_10 (not quite at 384.18_0 release final).

That should finally put this question to rest. The 'AC3200 will at best receive only security updates going forward, from all informational sources I know.

That should finally put this question to rest. The 'AC3200 will at best receive only security updates going forward, from all informational sources I know.

Which is still fine. Very few electronic products get new features added when they are already 5+ years old.

More than fine! I was just commenting on the thread title and 'top' question of will AiMesh be added. :)

As of right now, the RT-AC3200 will be EOL at RMerlin version 384.13_10 (not quite at 384.18_0 release final).

Does this mean that AiMesh was implemented with Merlin in the RT3200? thanks.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC3200/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Version 3.0.0.4.382.52287 2020/07/01 35.16 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC3200 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.52287
Security update
- Fixed CVE-2020-12695 (CallStranger)
- Fixed Reflected XSS vulnerability.
- Fixed Directory traversal vulnerability.
- Fixed CVE-2017-15653.

The update server transport layer security was upgraded and the old protocol was removed.
If your router firmware version is lower than 3.0.0.4.382.52230, please refer to the "Update Manually" section in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000 to update the firmware.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: ca43b2b06a9fc9cf98873ba92ab61e62

New beta firmware Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 is out. Anyone test it? I cannot install yet. Does this still lack mesh?

Probably.

ASUS RT-AC3200 Firmware version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 (Beta Version)
Security Fixed:
Fixed CVE-2020-25681, CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25687, CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685, CVE-2020-25686

Please be noted this is a quick fix beta version for DNSmasq vulnerabilities. Refer to "Method 2: Update Manually" in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000 to update this firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!