What's new

Is the stock Netgear R7800 QoS really this bad?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

To each his own I guess. Just use whatever works. SQM QoS is the same on hnyman’s build as stock OpenWRT packages.

I still get A/A+ in DSL reports bufferbloat tests along with others I’ve convinced to use those builds since the last two years, meaning it probably wasn’t set properly in your case. Plus the builds labeled “stable” should be used rather than “master” which is bleeding edge.

Master has two versions, one using standard ATH10K wireless firmware and the other using Candela Technologies ATH10K Wireless firmwares.

I’ve also compiled my own builds previously using OpenWRT instructions with no difference.... (Last month) Looking at Kong’s his looks pretty close to stock builds already in regards to patches/changes. Have you tried stock builds just out of curiosity.

Last edited:
I think you'll like the R7960P its a good router. There is one outstanding issue that I've already raised with NG. NAT Filter set to OPEN is reporting NAT kind incorrectly so if you have multiple game devices online at the same time playing same game, any kind of multiplayer team match making and need OPEN NAT on all devices playing the same game, won't happen until NG fixes this one issue.

Other then that, the R7960P is good. Also has 160Mhz support as well.

Make sure when your testing bufferbloat, test with a wired PC directly to toe modem first to see how it does with out a router online. Then test again with a router in the mix.

I own the modem, MB8600. Bufferbloat is a solid F without any form of QoS.

I went to Costco today and grabbed the R7960P for a solid $200 oof. I won't have time to test game traffic today but bufferbloat is already vastly better than what was showing up on the R7800. One of these routers will get returned within the next month now I just have to test and decide which one to keep.

If you really want OpenWRT make sure to use the lighter “Piece of Cake” not the full fledged layered “Cake” as that requires tagging to create a 3 bin prioritization and be effective.

Hnyman’s builds:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/build-for-netgear-r7800/316

Been using his builds for 2 years. A lot of feedback from his R7800 exploration thread goes into improving the router in terms of upcoming OpenWRT bug fixes and performance improvements.

I just purchased an R7800 and want to run Piece of Cake on OpenWRT. Does Hnyman's build come with Piece of Cake installed, or would I need to add the packages necessary for Piece of Cake?

Thank you!

I just purchased an R7800 and want to run Piece of Cake on OpenWRT. Does Hnyman's build come with Piece of Cake installed, or would I need to add the packages necessary for Piece of Cake?

Thank you!
As far as I know, you need to add the package manually. Let me know if it works because I would also give it a try :D.

Thank you!

Cake and Piece of Cake are both part of the SQM QoS package and that is already installed in hnyman’s builds by default.

Cake and Piece of Cake are both part of the SQM QoS package and that is already installed in hnyman’s builds by default.

Does it still have the six steps build environment creation process?

We really need qos / sqm if we have 120/10 mbps from isp and using 7-8 devices... as laptop, cell , ipad, printer and smart tv? No torrenting and big part is netflix in tv..

What do you think?

* router R7800
Firmware looking for open wrt.

Envoyé de mon SM-G960W en utilisant Tapatalk

Yeah SQM Cake specifically the “Piece of Cake” option not the full fledged cake, works wonders. When I had VDSL where stock firmware QoS and DD-WRT with FQ-Codel would range from A-C in bufferbloat, Piece of Cake on OpenWRT consistently gave me an A-A+ on bufferbloat tests and it did a great job balancing bandwidth between devices.

For prebuilt R7800 OpenWRT firmware with most nessecities built in, look for hnyman’s stable builds on the OpenWRT forums.

Last edited:
Is there a way to install SQM on Voxel’s firmwares? It does not seem to be available in Entware.

Is there a way to install SQM on Voxel’s firmwares? It does not seem to be available in Entware.
SQM requires special additional kernel modules compiled and (as far as I remember) were available in OpenWRT since kernel 4.x.x

So it is impossible to include SQM into Entware (this just will not work).

Stock FW for R7800 (and thus my build) use kernel 3.4.103 modified for QCA specific stuffs including their QoS.

Voxel.

I never got the QoS to work really well with any firmware. I only used it to change my bufferbloat score.. I turned it off and all my usage and services seem fine...kid has not been complaining about games etc. I truly believe my bufferbloat is really my docsis 3.0 modem and network.. yet some have posted perfect A grades for BB on my network ...different routers I think.
I could see if you have a large family using the internet that the QoS could come in very handy.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!