What's new

Is there a screen to "Release" and "Renew" WAN IP Addresses?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AltF4

Occasional Visitor
In standard linksys routers on the Status --> Router tab, it displays WAN (modem) connection info. It also provides 2 buttons to Release and Renew that IP address.

Does such a functionality exist for this router / firmware, and if so where?
If not, could it be implemented in the future?

Thanks so much.
- Matt

Just go to the main screen, click on "internet status" in the top middle, and then on the right hand side toggle the green on/off button. This will do a release, and then a renew when you switch it back on again.

Perfect, that is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realize those logos were clickable. Wonder if it would be worth putting also under the WAN page for completeness.

Also, do you happen to know the commend to accomplish the equivalent. I know he offers a "Reboot router" command, but I am not sure about a Release and then Renew.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Just go to the main screen, click on "internet status" in the top middle, and then on the right hand side toggle the green on/off button. This will do a release, and then a renew when you switch it back on again.
The answer seems to be ... in the answer.

Release:

Code:
killall -SIGUSR2 udhcpc

Renew:

Code:
killall -SIGUSR1 udhcpc

On current firmware SIGUSR syntax doesn't seem work, use USR1 to renew

Code:
killall -USR1 udhcpc

[edit] should have same effect, might be better in script to release, sleep then renew?

Last edited:
I will test killall -USR1 udhcpc at weekend

I hope it works

killall -SIGUSR2 udhcpc is working in my script

I hope this still works in the next few days.
Will report

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!