What's new

Is there a way to hide the 5G SSIDs only?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davekstl

Regular Contributor
If not I would like to have that capability. When causal users, everyone but me, use the network, they sometimes connect to the 5G side which causes some confusion when they have issues. I would like the ability to hide individual SSIDs.

If not I would like to have that capability. When causal users, everyone but me, use the network, they sometimes connect to the 5G side which causes some confusion when they have issues. I would like the ability to hide individual SSIDs.

Yes, see the Wireless settings. I've read that hiding SSIDs can increase connect time, but never tried it.

OE

The 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz setting pages do have their individual "Hide SSID" radio button, you should be able hide one or the other or both.
Hiding SSID does not bring a lot: once the SSID is known in a phone or computer they can connect to it, no matter the SSID is hidden or not.

I see I can turn the SSIDs On and Off, but I don't see a way to individually do that.
Just below "Network Name (SSID)" and in guest network just above "Network Name (SSID)"
In main network you have to disable Smart Connect, if not what you will do is hide both.

I see I can turn the SSIDs On and Off, but I don't see a way to individually do that.

If Smart Connect, then same SSID ON or OFF.
If not Smart Connect, then select band and different SSID ON or OFF.

1607014510241.png

Hiding the SSID will not prohibit connection.

OE

If Smart Connect, then same SSID ON or OFF.
If not Smart Connect, then select band and different SSID ON or OFF.

View attachment 28173

Hiding the SSID will not prohibit connection.

OE

it might some clients you need to specify a hidden connection. if they are casual users they will jsut wonder why its not reconnecting or they might not remember the ssid name to reconnect and type it over. although most clients save the connection.

Another option is to use a mac filter whitelist on the 5g ssid, or create a guest network for them to use.

but like others said you have to turn off smart connect and create new ssid password anyways.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!