What's new

Is there a way to select which devices get VPN from my router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NobleNik

New Around Here
I have a VPN Unlimited, I pay for my own server and is set to 5 devices. I only want my Xbox One and computer to get the VPN, is there a way to do that on a Asus RT-AC66U router? I use the OpenVPN version. So like I select which devices get the VPN and others don't. Thanks!

I have a VPN Unlimited, I pay for my own server and is set to 5 devices. I only want my Xbox One and computer to get the VPN, is there a way to do that on a Asus RT-AC66U router? I use the OpenVPN version. So like I select which devices get the VPN and others don't. Thanks!

Find out devices IP that you want to use VPN.
Setup your OpenVPN client on router and under "Redirect Internet traffic" select "Policy rules".
Then select source IP (IP to go through VPN) and iface "VPN". Press + to add rule.
At the end press apply.

Setup your OpenVPN client on router and under "Redirect Internet traffic" select "Policy rules".
Then select source IP (IP to go through VPN) and iface "VPN". Press + to add rule.
At the end press apply.
I cant seem to find "redirect internet traffic", in the tabs I only see Network Map, Guest network , AiProtection , Adaptive QOS , Traffic Analyzer, USB Application , AI Cloud 2.0 Then Advanced Settings : Wireless ,LAN, WAN, IPv6 , VPN, Firewall, Admin... , System Log, Networktools

I cant seem to find "redirect internet traffic", in the tabs I only see Network Map, Guest network , AiProtection , Adaptive QOS , Traffic Analyzer, USB Application , AI Cloud 2.0 Then Advanced Settings : Wireless ,LAN, WAN, IPv6 , VPN, Firewall, Admin... , System Log, Networktools

It is under VPN -> OpenVPN client.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a heads up for you. You may not need to pay for five devices. You can connect as many devices as you want connected to your router running the VPN client and it is only seen by your VPN provider as ONE device.

Paying for extra VPN connections is useful if you are away from home and for security/privacy reason want to connect your phone, tablet, laptop, etc. securely to the WWW and want to encrypt your communication and prevent man in the middle exploits.

Just a heads up for you. You may not need to pay for five devices. You can connect as many devices as you want connected to your router running the VPN client and it is only seen by your VPN provider as ONE device.

Paying for extra VPN connections is useful if you are away from home and for security/privacy reason want to connect your phone, tablet, laptop, etc. securely to the WWW and want to encrypt your communication and prevent man in the middle exploits.
Thats what I thought at first. They somehow know how many devices so

It is under VPN -> OpenVPN client.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pretty much all i see
Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 2.19.38 AM.png

Thats what I thought at first. They somehow know how many devices so
Then it is time to consider a different VPN provider. The only way they can tell that is by inspecting your data packets when they are unencrypted at their server farm.

Most every device in my home is connected using the VPN client on my network. At any one time 20 - 30 devices are probably connected. Many are IoT devices that use very little data but they each have a MAC address.

I
At the end press apply.
I just got merlin on my router, what do I put in the destination IP? nothing?