What's new

Is there an asus router that has a 1gb sfp/sfp+ port?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No.

Yes, but it's not cheap, as it's really a 10Gbps port, but it can do 1Gbps as well.

Yes, but it's not cheap, as it's really a 10Gbps port, but it can do 1Gbps as well.
i read the fine print and it said the sfp+ port can only negotiate at 10gbps what im plugging in only supports 1gb :(

i read the fine print and it said the sfp+ port can only negotiate at 10gbps what im plugging in only supports 1gb :(
Where did you see that?
The manual says:
This port is for SPF+ connection with data transmission speed up to 10Gbit/s
Up to means that's the highest supported speed, so Gigabit should also work.
There's no other information I can find about it.

I'm guessing you're referring to this: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044066

I note that the QVL list it directs you to look at doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

I think they might be suggesting that you should only use an SFP+ module (aka 10Gb) but AFAIK that shouldn't mean you can't use a 2.5Gb SFP+ module.

Where did you see that?
The manual says:

Up to means that's the highest supported speed, so Gigabit should also work.
There's no other information I can find about it.
sfp.jpg

Get yourself media converter, where one port is Sfp and other one ethernet they negotiate on 1 Gbps and then you can use normal router with it.

Something like this
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003CFATL0/?tag=smallncom-20
Well that kinda defeats my use-case i want to use an ONT module so i can directly plug my isp fibr to my network and get rid of their provided ONT/Modem.

I'm guessing you're referring to this: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044066

I note that the QVL list it directs you to look at doesn't exist. :rolleyes:

I think they might be suggesting that you should only use an SFP+ module (aka 10Gb) but AFAIK that shouldn't mean you can't use a 2.5Gb SFP+ module.

As per my google search kindly correct me if i am wrong, 10GB sfp cant auto negotiate, when its 10gb you can only plug 10gb, unless you have a module/media converter.

It's always 'up to'. Otherwise, they'd have other issues. :)

A buyer is supposed to be (i.e. expected) to be fully versed in what they're buying, and why.

It's always 'up to'. Otherwise, they'd have other issues. :)

A buyer is supposed to be (i.e. expected) to be fully versed in what they're buying, and why.
And companies are supposed to put as many hurdles in the way as possible to get correct information?

I was using my AX89X with a 1GB SFP module (D-Link DEM-310GT to be precise) connected to a D-Link switch with the same SFP module on the other end, it worked fine.

I was using my AX89X with a 1GB SFP module (D-Link DEM-310GT to be precise) connected to a D-Link switch with the same SFP module on the other end, it worked fine.
really? wow thanks for this very helpful comment i guess ill proceed to buy this, i was planning to build a pfsense box instead with sfp pcie again thank you, can you also attach a screenshot of how does it look in the UI if a sfp is attached to the sfp+ and can we manually change the negotiation speed? and just to confirm can i use the sfp+ as WAN? and can the 10GB LANPORT negotiate at 2.5GB? or just 10GB? (my homelab is 2.5gbe thats why this is very important)

Regards,

Screenshot 2021-10-12 200638.jpg

Last edited:
really? wow thanks for this very helpful comment i guess ill proceed to buy this, i was planning to build a pfsense box instead with sfp pcie again thank you, can you also attach a screenshot of how does it look in the UI if a sfp is attached to the sfp+ and can we manually change the negotiation speed? and just to confirm can i use the sfp+ as WAN? and can the 10GB LANPORT negotiate at 2.5GB? or just 10GB? (my homelab is 2.5gbe thats why this is very important)

Regards,
I just plugged in the SFP and it just worked, but I can't get a screenshot of it because while it used to be running my network, the AX89X is now just an AiMesh node out in my garage connected via normal ethernet. It was too unstable and I swapped it out for an RT-AX86U.

I just plugged in the SFP and it just worked, but I can't get a screenshot of it because while it used to be running my network, the AX89X is now just an AiMesh node out in my garage connected via normal ethernet. It was too unstable and I swapped it out for an RT-AX86U.
How was it "unstable"?

Well that kinda defeats my use-case i want to use an ONT module so i can directly plug my isp fibr to my network and get rid of their provided ONT/Modem.
Is there a particular reason that you want to get rid of your ISP's CPE? Sometimes the CPE will do a VLAN encapsulation so when you put the CPE in bridge mode the PPPoE on your router would work.