What's new

Is this possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vapor

Occasional Visitor
Good day

If I have a 2 bay, would it be possible to set up shares on which disks I choose. I guess what mean is, could those 2 disks function as 2 separated disks?

That's how my 2 disk NAS is setup (DS212). Each disk is a separate volume. No RAID. Shares can be on the selected drive. And I have the NAD auto-backup configured to dupe files on volume 1 to volume 2 as backup, with these being on different disks and different file systems. Seems more resilient to me than RAID1 - as I have had a file system get corrupted on PCs a few times.

It depends on the NAS. Some multi-drive NASes won't let you set up each drive as a separate volume and set them up in JBOD (one big share) instead. You need to check the product specs.

Thank you for the feedback on this.

What is this feature called so that I can check?

Does the QNAP TS112 and Synology DS212j have this feature?

There is no consistent term for this. Both QNAP and Synology handle multiple volumes and let you assign a volume per drive if you wish.