What's new

Is VPN interfering with the succesful operation of Dual WAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does this make sense and is this maybe a know isssue in the community?

I don't know about the others, but my tests with Asuswrt Dual WAN were not successful. It's not working properly on any Asus router, from RT-N66 to RT-AX88U, on any firmware. I guess, the code is all the same and was never changed/fixed for many years. It works only sometimes, very unreliable.

I don't know about the others, but my tests with Asuswrt Dual WAN were not successful. It's not working properly on any Asus router, from RT-N66 to RT-AX88U, on any firmware. I guess, the code is all the same and was never changed/fixed for many years. It works only sometimes, very unreliable.
Did you test with Failback enabled or disabled? As I said, disabling Failback does the trick and Dual WAN works fine on my AC86U Merlin. Problem is I NEED the Failback option enabled.

Did you test with Failback enabled or disabled?

Yes, all the options, both DNS and IP WAN monitoring. I've spend a lot of time with it, with many different Asus routers. It takes minutes for Asuswrt to realize WAN connection is up or down, disrupting the service. It switches WAN's quickly only when you unplug the cable physically. Otherwise it may or may not fail over or fail back. I use 3x Cisco RV345P routers in places I need Dual WAN, I've tested TP-Link ER605. They switch WAN's in 30 seconds. Netgate unit with pfSense and Synology RT2600ac do it right as well. If you search SNB forums, very few people report successful Dual WAN fail over with fail back in Asuswrt, with some specific USB modems only. One person recommends 40+ WAN probes in settings to make fail back work. Test it again and see if you can make it work. For me this function in Asuswrt is false advertising.

One person recommends 40+ WAN probes in settings to make fail back work.
I think my problem is the opposite. The router does not need 40+ WAN probes to fail back - apparently it just needs 1 falsely succesful WAN probe (huzzah, the WAN cable is connected!) to fail back and enter this "cycle of doom".

@eibgrad do you maybe have a solution to this issue or have you managed to reproduce it in your lab? Thanks!

Sorry, I was having lots of problems configuring dual WAN in my lab. It's NOT like I have a USB modem or Android phone readably available. I tried to jury-rig another router for an Ethernet type connection, but ran into additional problems. Then I got sidetracked on a project for one of the dd-wrt developers.

I'm still trying to get a dual WAN working. But given the above @Tech9 comments, I don't have a good feeling about dual WAN anyway. As I said, I never use it, w/ this or any other third party firmware, because I don't trust it. All these firmwares were originally designed as single WAN, and (imo) dual/multi-WAN has been shoe-horned into the firmware w/o the kind of scrutiny I consider necessary.

I wonder, are you one of tge developers of Merlin, per chance? Because if you are and you can manage to reproduce this Failback issue, maybe you you can imlement some "improvement" code for it? Mind you, the Dual WAN thing works fne from what I can tell, as long as you don't enable Failback.

As far as I know, the code comes from Asuswrt and is used unchanged in Asuswrt-Merlin. The behavior is the same on different Asuswrt firmware code base versions and I suspect it was never changed/fixed by Asus for many years. Good enough to advertise Dual WAN feature, but it doesn't work well.