What's new

Is wireguard available on RT-AC86U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I could be wrong, but I believe Asus added the GUI pages for wireguard to the 386 firmware during the development of 388 but the pages were not functional. Been a while now, but I remember something to that effect.

The WG kernel modules and userspace tool are available on the 386.11 firmware. You can use WG, but you need to either write your script or use Merlin and install the wireguard-manager addon from AMTM.

you can also check out this utility. I wrote it for the XT12 mainly as that router has no USB key, but I wrote it using the AC86U (no Entware)

I could be wrong, but I believe Asus added the GUI pages for wireguard to the 386 firmware during the development of 388 but the pages were not functional. Been a while now, but I remember something to that effect.

The WG kernel modules and userspace tool are available on the 386.11 firmware. You can use WG, but you need to either write your script or use Merlin and install the wireguard-manager addon from AMTM.
@ataru80

@NickolauBr are using Merlin 386.11 and obviously installed Entware and Wireguard Manager addon via AMTM. the Wireguard Manager addon has a GUI that integrates into Merlin GUI under the Addons tab. Through this GUI you can import Wireguard (Client) config files , setting up server peer, server clients and much more. so pretty much everything you need for a basic setup. I ran this setup for many years with my old AC86U and it works great!

but yes, requires USB-storage and Entware installed so a bit more time investment to get going but there are excellent step by step guides right here on this forums so it's quite easy to get going.

Wireguard Manager addon has a GUI that integrates into Merlin GUI under the Addons tab.

I was not aware of that. Context. Imagine! Good to know.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

@ataru80

@NickolauBr are using Merlin 386.11 and obviously installed Entware and Wireguard Manager addon via AMTM. the Wireguard Manager addon has a GUI that integrates into Merlin GUI under the Addons tab. Through this GUI you can import Wireguard (Client) config files , setting up server peer, server clients and much more. so pretty much everything you need for a basic setup. I ran this setup for many years with my old AC86U and it works great!

but yes, requires USB-storage and Entware installed so a bit more time investment to get going but there are excellent step by step guides right here on this forums so it's quite easy to get going.
Exactly what I did....

Since I know I am able to run this way, I will give @Jeffrey Young Standalone version a shot!