What's new

*ISSUE FOUND* RT-AC66U - 5 Ghz radio not working on 380.65_4

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am going to bump this.

For reference, I am using an RT-AC86U with FW 384.19

I've noticed my 5ghz drops off every other day/week, forcing me to connect to the 2.4ghz SSID whereafter things work immediately.

Upon checking my 5ghz channel bandwidth settings, it was set 20/40/80 MHz.

Today, my 5ghz has not been working - right up to the time of me writing this post. As per the above guidance, I changed my channel bandwidth setting from 20/40/80 MHz to just 40 MHz only, After the router accepted the setting and my laptop reconnected to the 5ghz SSID, my internet was working fine.

Just for giggles and to prove out the issue was in fact the 80mhz setting, I logged back into the router and set the channel bandwidth setting to 80 MHz only. The wireless connection on my laptop refreshed/reconnected, I punched in Yahoo.com and all I got was spin, spin, spin and.......you guessed it a never ending spinning page that was unresolvable. I went back into the routers admin page and forced the 5ghz channel bandwidth setting back to 40 MHz only and after my laptop reconnected I was up again.

In summary there is an issue here with the 80Mhz setting for the 5ghz radio and I would request this is brought to someones attention.

Thank you to adampk17 for creating this post and allowing me to find it. I hope this mini test analysis helps someone else should they be facing this problem.

All the best

Last edited:
IMMEDIATE UPDATE TO THE LAST POST

As sods law would have it, the moment I submitted my last post (whilst having my router on the 40 MHz only setting), I went to browse a web page and got the spin of death. I was forced back to flipping to the 2.4ghz SSID to get things working again. Its the only way I can get internet connectivity again (other than using a LAN cable).

80mhz only - not working no matter what
40mhz only - works initially but dies after a few mins
20mhz only - did not bother trying this
Flipping to 2.4ghz - all good in the hood.

Something very wrong with this 5ghz radio here. Please advise.

I will have to try the NVRAM clear command mentioned by someone in the thread above. Trying to seek out commands for that now.

Last edited:
FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!!
I had this problem for a few day and I finally made the 5GHz frequence work again. Just install an older version of the firmware. 1 version older worked for me (without counting the beta version). Just go on the Asus website (https://www.asus.com/us/Networking-IoT-Servers/WiFi-Routers/ASUS-WiFi-Routers/RTAC66U/HelpDesk_BIOS/) and find the firmware download. Dowload, unzip, go to your router ip, administration, firmware update, browse file, select the file in the folder you unzipped (.trx), wait and follow the instruction and voila, 5GHz work again.