What's new

Itunes server not working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aircoreboy

Regular Contributor
I have recently noticed that the iTunes server isn't appearing in shared libraries in itunes (win 7 64bit). Initially, I thought it was the upgrade to 374.39 that caused it, or a problem with the router (ac66u), but after various trouble-shooting attempts, it's still not working. I was recently forced to upgrade to iTunes 11.x, against my better judgement, because of iOS 7 requiring it and am now wondering if it is 11.x that is causing the problems. Is anybody running iTunes 11 and still able to access the shared library on the router using the iTunes server?

I have recently noticed that the iTunes server isn't appearing in shared libraries in itunes (win 7 64bit). Initially, I thought it was the upgrade to 374.39 that caused it, or a problem with the router (ac66u), but after various trouble-shooting attempts, it's still not working. I was recently forced to upgrade to iTunes 11.x, against my better judgement, because of iOS 7 requiring it and am now wondering if it is 11.x that is causing the problems. Is anybody running iTunes 11 and still able to access the shared library on the router using the iTunes server?

I tested this only a few days ago, and I had no problem streaming music stored on the router's USB drive to a freshly installed iTunes 11.

Merlin, could any other setting on the router affect iTunes server functionality, so far I've re-formatted the USB HDD, forwarded port 3689, checked iTunes and Bonjour have full access in PC firewall and tried to access the server from another machine, but with no luck, I am currently at a complete loss!

Merlin, could any other setting on the router affect iTunes server functionality, so far I've re-formatted the USB HDD, forwarded port 3689, checked iTunes and Bonjour have full access in PC firewall and tried to access the server from another machine, but with no luck, I am currently at a complete loss!

No idea. I stay as far away was possible from Apple's proprietary stuff, so I don't even know how iTunes clients communicate with their servers.

I've had similar issues with iTunes/Apple related streaming. In my case it was streaming films from iTunes on my PC to Apple TVs.

What eventually fixed it for me was disabling IPv6 on the computer running iTunes.

So Open Network & Sharing Center -> Change Adapter Settings -> Local Area Connection. Right-click and select Properties. De-select Internet Protocol Version 6. Click OK. Repeat for any other network adapters you need to such as wireless.

I've no idea why it fixed it for me, as it had worked with IPv6 enabled for years. However, there are plenty of others on the Apple Support Communities site having similar issues. I hope this fixes the issue for you.

Thanks James, but no, I aready disabled IPV6 and it did not help, I have however found how to get the iTunes server working but have no idea why;

entering 'mt-daapd' into the run command produces this in the system log,

Feb 11 18:48:58 mt-daapd[1006]: Starting rendezvous daemon
Feb 11 18:48:58 mt-daapd[1008]: Starting signal handler
Feb 11 18:48:58 mt-daapd[1008]: Loading playlists
Feb 11 18:48:58 mt-daapd[1008]: Initializing database
Feb 11 18:48:58 mt-daapd[1008]: Starting mp3 scan
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[941]: Starting web server from /rom/etc/web on port 3689
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[941]: Registering rendezvous names
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[941]: Scanned 8461 songs in 314 seconds
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[934]: Starting web server from /rom/etc/web on port 3689
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[934]: Could not open port: Address already in use
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[934]: Error staring web server: Address already in use
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[934]: Aborting
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[927]: Starting web server from /rom/etc/web on port 3689
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[927]: Could not open port: Address already in use
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[927]: Error staring web server: Address already in use
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[927]: Aborting
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[926]: Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[926]: Aborting
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[933]: Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.
Feb 11 18:49:42 mt-daapd[933]: Aborting

however, navigating to http://192.168.1.1:3689/ produces a mt-daapd status page stating that the 'rendezvous' service is not configured, does the server rely on rendezvous because it doesn't appear to be auto starting.

I have no understanding of any of this, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable does!

Edit:

Seems this problem is definitely related to the Rendezvous (which appears to be the first iteration of Bonjour) service, since it is now showing as running and the server is working perfectly. Interestingly, the uptime at http://192.168.1.1:3689/status.html is now correct but when the server wasn't functioning, the uptime was displaying 1127 Days, xx Hours, xx Days, xx Seconds.

Last edited:
Edit:

Seems this problem is definitely related to the Rendezvous (which appears to be the first iteration of Bonjour) service, since it is now showing as running and the server is working perfectly. Interestingly, the uptime at http://192.168.1.1:3689/status.html is now correct but when the server wasn't functioning, the uptime was displaying 1127 Days, xx Hours, xx Days, xx Seconds.[/QUOTE]

I am having the issue, the Rendezvous service says not configured.
What did you do to fix this?

thx.

Sorry krothman, what I thought was a fix, actually wasn't. I haven't been able to get the server to run consistently. I am waiting for the release version of 374.40 to see if that helps!

Sounds like the old mt-daapd and avahi race condition... fairly well documented and this is a fairly old bug...

avahi is an opensource "Bonjour" stack for linux...

check and see if avahi is running first - if not, then start it, then you can run mt_daapd and you should be ok.

Ubuntu Launchpad #343069

Thanks sfx, I followed the link, but unfortunately, my Linux knowledge is about zero.

check and see if avahi is running first - if not, then start it, then you can run mt_daapd and you should be ok.

I've been trying to learn over the last couple of weeks how to go about achieving the above, but without any success, any chance you can give me an idea of how to do this, thanks.

firefly (mt-daapd) seems to have a built-in mDNSResponder.
Current Asuswrt runs mt-daapd with '-m' option which disables the built-in mDNSResponder, probably because mt-daapd and another mDNSResponder avahi doesn't work well.

since avahi is not default installed, mt-daapd should be run without -m option.

Does anybody know where I can modify startup script for mt-daapd?

Thanks sfx, I followed the link, but unfortunately, my Linux knowledge is about zero.

I've been trying to learn over the last couple of weeks how to go about achieving the above, but without any success, any chance you can give me an idea of how to do this, thanks.

Every distro is a bit different - what it basically comes down to is that the iTunes server (mt-daapd) launches before the the Avahi stack completes it's initialization... and this is done in the init scripts when the box boots up...

post-boot - kill the mt-daapd daemon, and avahi, and then start avahi, and start mt-daapd - should be good for the session until the next reboot.

Knowing this, perhaps RMerlin can tweak the init scripts perhaps for his builds if he's so inclined...

sfx

Every distro is a bit different - what it basically comes down to is that the iTunes server (mt-daapd) launches before the the Avahi stack completes it's initialization... and this is done in the init scripts when the box boots up...

post-boot - kill the mt-daapd daemon, and avahi, and then start avahi, and start mt-daapd - should be good for the session until the next reboot.

Knowing this, perhaps RMerlin can tweak the init scripts perhaps for his builds if he's so inclined...

sfx
Thanks, this worked for me. I killed the mt-daapd process and then just re-started it. I did not have to do anything with avahi.
I was then able to see iTunes library when I opened iTunes.

iTunes server working for first time

:)
I'm less than a newbie, yet somehow after months of trying, for first time I've got iTunes server working on RT-N56U firmware 374_5656! Win7, 64bit, no additional ports forwarded other than download master 8081, 6881, 6889, 51413 bittorrent default port. iTunes 11.x. With homesharing pc's running iTunes, the asus itunes server scanned iTunes libraries on all pc's; now with the other pc's shut down, my laptop plays itunes from the asus server; I didn't load 34GB of itunes into the usb's hdd; I didn't load any. I'm amazed; never got it to work before. funny thing is asus itunes server is only showing three playlists, none of which I created; '60's Music', 'AAC Music', 'Non-DRMed Music'. Anyone know how to show my itunes playlists? Usually nothing works for me; but this is working! :)

:)
I'm less than a newbie, yet somehow after months of trying, for first time I've got iTunes server working on RT-N56U firmware 374_5656! Win7, 64bit, no additional ports forwarded other than download master 8081, 6881, 6889, 51413 bittorrent default port. iTunes 11.x. With homesharing pc's running iTunes, the asus itunes server scanned iTunes libraries on all pc's; now with the other pc's shut down, my laptop plays itunes from the asus server; I didn't load 34GB of itunes into the usb's hdd; I didn't load any. I'm amazed; never got it to work before. funny thing is asus itunes server is only showing three playlists, none of which I created; '60's Music', 'AAC Music', 'Non-DRMed Music'. Anyone know how to show my itunes playlists? Usually nothing works for me; but this is working! :)

I have just flashed with 374_5517 and the itunes server was working perfectly, however, flashing to 374_42 has again resulted in the server being broken, so this does seem to be a problem limited to the Merlin F\W's. What would be good; a firmware that offers the extras of Merlin but with the official features still working, why can't Asus implement all of Merlin's Extras?!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!