What's new

"Fun" with SAMBA on XT8 Mesh LAN (It's not working!)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The screen capture image indicates the Seagate USB external hard drive has two partitions, the first partition being a 128MB one with a unsupported file system, and a second main partition that is NTFS formatted. Could be your Synology was incorrectly reading the hard drive due to Partition 1 being there with an unsupported partition format. Then by adding the exFAT Access package it perhaps properly can deal with having the first partition being in an unsupported partition format.

The screen capture image indicates the Seagate USB external hard drive has two partitions, the first partition being a 128MB one with a unsupported file system, and a second main partition that is NTFS formatted. Could be your Synology was incorrectly reading the hard drive due to Partition 1 being there with an unsupported partition format. Then by adding the exFAT Access package it perhaps properly can deal with having the first partition being in an unsupported partition format.
Maybe. This was not the first drive I attached. The "test" drive I attached before this worked this second time but not the first time, and has one partition. Which was the odd part for me. But either way, now it works, and I cannot thank you enough.

Since you also seem to be an ASUS expert, Bennor, is there any reason you can think of for why the SAMBA method of networking the same drives to XT8 nodes/router didn't work, despite FTP methods working? For my own curiosity!

Not an expert by any means but assume its due to the Asus firmware of the XT8. If the XT8 is mounting the drive but SMB (Samba) isn't working right, its likely an issue with the SMB (Samba) version used by the firmware. Don't know offhand what version of SMB Asus uses in their firmware.

Not an expert by any means but assume its due to the Asus firmware of the XT8. If the XT8 is mounting the drive but SMB (Samba) isn't working right, its likely an issue with the SMB (Samba) version used by the firmware. Don't know offhand what version of SMB Asus uses in their firmware.
Yeah. I titted about with SMBv1, but it didn't seem to help. Maybe it's my curse with IT at the moment! :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!