What's new

JFFS ico file - RT-AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chas0001

New Around Here
I have a very strange problem with my JFFS partition. There is a folder called USERICON that contains an ico file that is quite large. I delete it to free up space but whenever the router reboots it re-appears. The problem is that it takes up too much space in the JFFS partition and its usage eventually becomes 63/64 mb. The icon is an image of a Netgear router.

ASUS WRT firmware : 380.67
I have factory reset and the problem still persists.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 10.40.33.png

The icon is an image of a Netgear router.
Have you set that image to one of your devices/clients when you click on the clients icon on the start page?

Have you set that image to one of your devices/clients when you click on the clients icon on the start page?

Yes I looked at that but thought a factory reset would restore everything. Attached is the client list icons and the actual icon in the USERICON folder.

Its really strange
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 11.55.45.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 11.59.13.png

Is the ico file referenced in the /jffs/nmp_client_list?

Is the ico file referenced in the /jffs/nmp_client_list?

Yes in that file is 2cb05d2fa94e>>WNDR4500. 2cb05d2fa94e is the name of the icon file in USERICON. What I don't understand is that I have not set it. The icon for WNDR4500 is one of the pre defined ones and not some high resolution image. I don't understand where its restoring this large icon from every time I delete it.

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 12.29.36.png

What if you reselect another icon? This should remove the *.ico file.

I chose the default icon for WNDR4500 and applied the changes but the nmp_client_list file has not changed (same date time). What is even stranger is that the size of the 2cb05d2fa94e.ico file has got larger. In my previous posts it was around 30mb and now its over 60.

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 14.58.14.png

I have replaced the ico file with a much smaller one from elsewhere on the router. I think its a low quality icon of the actual 3200 router. Lets see what happens. It has freed the space in the JFFS partition.

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 15.05.03.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 15.08.01.png

Since you only have that one client referenced in /jffs/nmp_client_list, it is save to delete it, along with the ico file in the folder.
Did you find where the large icon file comes from?
Did a search yield anything?

Did you find where the large icon file comes from?
Did a search yield anything?
It looks like the file size is being increased until it fills up all remaining space in the JFFS partition. Presumably the actual picture information is at the beginning of the file and remains intact and there is garbage being appended the to end of the file?

The filename doesn't provide any clue to its origin as it's the device's MAC address.:(

I might you useful to examine the original (large) file with a hex viewer and see what the data looks like. For example, is the picture data just being repeated endlessly?

It looks like the file size is being increased until it fills up all remaining space in the JFFS partition. Presumably the actual picture information is at the beginning of the file and remains intact and there is garbage being appended the to end of the file?

The filename doesn't provide any clue to its origin as it's the device's MAC address.:(

I might you useful to examine the original (large) file with a hex viewer and see what the data looks like. For example, is the picture data just being repeated endlessly?
If I select an icon from my computer, it gets added as randomname.log in the usericon directory and is referenced in the nmp_client_list.
Adding another custom icon to anoother client adds a sencond randomname.log file, and the reference file gets appended.

If I select an icon from my computer, it gets added as randomname.log in the usericon directory and is referenced in the nmp_client_list.
Adding another custom icon to anoother client adds a sencond randomname.log file, and the reference file gets appended.
I was just speculating on what had already been posted. The firmware I use (John's) doesn't have these icons so I can't check it here.

Is it really randomname.log and not ico or png or something like that? Seems a bit strange to call it a log file.

Believe me, log is the extension in 380.68_beta

Thanks for all the help. I removed the DHCP reservation for the WNDR4500 router and rebooted but the .ico file was still there in USERICON. So I deleted the USERICON directory and rebooted. Nothing has appeared since. Of course, I am I am not 100% certain of the ramifications of doing this but it has not had any impact on the router so far. I am still not certain how this happened. I factory resetted the router before all this happened and made sure the JFFS partition was new (I did NOT restore it). Something, somewhere must have been left behind.

And yes it seemed as if something was getting appended to the .ico file until it filled up all the space in the JFFS partition.

Thanks again.

Hey there, what a coincidence!!! I have the same exact issue with my RT-AC3200 and I also have that netgear ico appearing and filling up all the remaining space under /jffs/usericon

Last edited:
I have that exact netgear WNDR4500 router connected to my rt-ac3200 and using it as extender in my kitchen

I bet the problem comes from the fact that multiple clients are masquerading under the same MAC due to the repeater.