What's new

JFFS workaround for SSH authorized keys?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David Cavalli

Regular Contributor
After the upgrade to Merlin 384.15, I've had the "Your router is running low on free NVRAM" warning. My first thought was that the three SSH authorized keys I stored in Admin>System>Service were the main problem. I removed them and the warning message went away.

Since I want the SSH keys there if possible, I read through the forum to find other ways to minimize NVRAM usage. I was successfully able to setup DHCP allocations with /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add instead of the GUI, but it wasn't enough to remove the errors. I then found a "for" loop that removed empty lines in the NVRAM and recommitted it. THAT lowered the NVRAM usage from 62k/65k to 51k and no warning.

I'm coming to the forum now to find out if there's a way to remove the three authorized keys from the GUI configuration and somehow put it in the jffs section, like the DHCP reservations. Any advice on this, or other things I can do to minimize NVRAM usage appreciated.

Thanks! :)