What's new

Johns Fork rt ac56u possible problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pattox

Regular Contributor
Just updated to John Fork 374.43_51E3j9527 on an Asus rt AC56u.

Created a static route for one device. After "applying" the new the router eventually shows "completed" and continues to show this even after quite a few minutes. It appears to me that the process never neatly completes but rather hangs.

Thereafter, I am unable to access the router until after both a router reboot and also a pc reboot (windows 10). Then after logging back into router I can see that the static route has been created.

Is this the way its supposed to work, or is there a problem?

I created the static route to redirect from googles main dns 8.8.8.8 to the router gateway which uses a different dns. Googles chromecast apparently forces the use of 8.8.8.8 and I wanted to stop this.

so
8.8.8.8. 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.10. 3

It works for me on my N66U. But applying the route does cause all the router's network interfaces to be restarted. Therefore your client will be temporarily disconnected from the network. When you reconnect it should ask you to log back into the GUI, although that might depend on your browser behaviour.

@pattox - Do you have IPv6 active? There are some comments in the code around the routine that needs to be used to set the new routes that it can hang sometimes with IPv6 active. I may need to check for IPv6 and force a reboot instead of a net restart.

I created the static route to redirect from googles main dns 8.8.8.8 to the router gateway which uses a different dns. Googles chromecast apparently forces the use of 8.8.8.8 and I wanted to stop this.
That's what DNSFilter is for....may be a better choice for you.

@pattox - Do you have IPv6 active? There are some comments in the code around the routine that needs to be used to set the new routes that it can hang sometimes with IPv6 active. I may need to check for IPv6 and force a reboot instead of a net restart.

That's what DNSFilter is for....may be a better choice for you.
Yes I do have IPv6 active. Re dns filtering. I’m sure you are right..I’m just taking a few baby steps at a time in learning about all of this.

Just fyi most companies offering anti geoblocking via dns show the static route option as the recommended way, and I haven’t seen any dns filtering alternatives.

@pattox
There is a 51D4 build up in the development folder for you to try....
Thank you, I will try this.

I followed up on your suggestion that dns filtering is the better way to go for what I wanted to achieve and it works beautifully. A very elegant way to force specific devices or groups to use a particular dns. And, easy to activate and deactivate.

Finally I want you to know how much I appreciate your work in keeping up to date and secure the older routers such as my rt ac56u .

Last edited:
Thank you, I will try this.

I followed up on your suggestion that dns filtering is the better way to go for what I wanted to achieve and it works beautifully. A very elegant way to force specific devices or groups to use a particular dns. And, easy to activate and deactivate.

Finally I want you to know how much I appreciate your work in keeping up to date and secure the older routers such as my rt ac56u .
Now have tried the static route creation in this new version and it works perfectly. Thanks again.

A possible new problem when using v51D4.

Advanced/IPV6/
When changing from "native" to "disabled" there appears to be the same problem as reported at the beginning of this thread. The router hangs on "completed". and both a pc and router reboot is needed to achieve a working system again and also to access the router. The router shows that the change has successfully "taken".

Looks similar to the first problem I reported.

Btw, perversely, when changing back from disabled to native there is no problem and all seems to be OK.

A possible new problem when using v51D4.

Advanced/IPV6/
When changing from "native" to "disabled" there appears to be the same problem as reported at the beginning of this thread. The router hangs on "completed". and both a pc and router reboot is needed to achieve a working system again and also to access the router. The router shows that the change has successfully "taken".

Looks similar to the first problem I reported.

Btw, perversely, when changing back from disabled to native there is no problem and all seems to be OK.
Very strange.....
The code does indeed do two different things in an attempt to minimize reboots. Changing to native ipv6 or updating native ipv6 will cause a reboot....disabling native ipv6 uses a faster reconfigure routine without a reboot.
I tested on my AC68 and it works fine, so not sure why the AC56 is having problems with it.

I'll put in a special case handler for the AC56 (and all the MIPS based routers) to do a reboot in both cases for the next release.

Very strange.....
The code does indeed do two different things in an attempt to minimize reboots. Changing to native ipv6 or updating native ipv6 will cause a reboot....disabling native ipv6 uses a faster reconfigure routine without a reboot.
I tested on my AC68 and it works fine, so not sure why the AC56 is having problems with it.

I'll put in a special case handler for the AC56 (and all the MIPS based routers) to do a reboot in both cases for the next release.
re: Very Strange
I repeated the process just to be sure I had waited long enough for completion ...and, yes the problem is as described. I found that a router reboot (but not a pc one) was needed to achieve a working system.

Sorry to be the purveyor of bad news over the past few days.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!