What's new

Just to share... Moved to Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Damit1

Hi there

So, after 6 months and 3 friends advising me over the time to MOVE TO MERLIN ALREADY-
Had finally the time to perform that.

Take 2 hours totally, but can proudly share- MERLIN TEAM ROCKS!

My room is 3m and one concrete wall away from AX88U.
From 600-700Mbps, to 900Mbps

I will.be sure to.donate for the continuous of the project.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210703-024939_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20210703-024939_Speedtest.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 124
Unrelated to switching from Asuswrt to Asuswrt-Merlin. Perhaps a result of fresh router setup.

You are wrong there buddy.
Done the same with Asuswrt priorly.

Back up settings of Asuswrt just in case, flashed Merlin FW, back up again in Merlin.
Reset whole system- restore settings, reboot to whole system just to make sure.

Done same procedure in ASUSWRT, and they don't see anything wrong.
I do see- and the result is right here

No change in both wired or wireless performance in all my tests with Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. Both use the same closed source Broadcom drivers. Nothing wired, wireless, AiMesh or TrendMicro related is different. You may have some differences only if Asuswrt base is different. Some default settings are different too. Set identical the performance is also identical.

Well, nobody on this forum (other than Mr. Higgins probably) is doing "scientific" testing of speeds, ensuring they control for all variables (congestion on local CMTS, local area wi-fi interference, controlling of network activity by other local devices, cpu usage of the testing device itself, etc.) so the vast majority of threads like this would have the same issue, not just this one.

Claimed ~30% Wi-Fi performance difference is easy to verify without scientific methods. I had +/- 5% difference in test results on both Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin. Wi-Fi environment change related, perhaps. Very easy test - time needed to transfer the same size data to the same client. Asuswrt-Merlin is no doubt the better firmware for enhanced configuration options, but the same Asuswrt base shows the same results in network performance. Tested with 4 different router models.

Done the same with Asuswrt priorly.

Back up settings of Asuswrt just in case, flashed Merlin FW, back up again in Merlin.
Reset whole system- restore settings, reboot to whole system just to make sure.

Done same procedure in ASUSWRT, and they don't see anything wrong.
I do see- and the result is right here

Changing to Merlin firmware cannot have any affect on WiFi performance. As already stated in this thread and by Merlin many thousands of times, Merlin CANNOT touch anything related to the WiFi components as they are closed source.

All the code/drivers and power settings relating to WiFi are ASUS stock firmware.

I see what you guys say.
But, in a "magical" way , he is somehow does a boosting of the signal and way more stabllized.

Maybe in Israel the WiFi is more delicate because of more interferences, and he writes it in better ways.

Bottom line, i hear it for the 10Th times now as a laugh that I should mover earlier.

It feels snappier.

Your comment reminds me of reddit comments every time Google releases a monthly Android security update... "It doubled my battery life"... (even though the update was only released a few hours ago)...

Your comment reminds me of reddit comments every time Google releases a monthly Android security update... "It doubled my battery life"... (even though the update was only released a few hours ago)...
HA! Yep, the "how's the battery life" minutes after a release.

It's a throwback to when we used to load custom ROMs on our BlackBerry phones looking for that next hot build and performance gains. Everyone would comment right after that "it feels snappier" and then it became a running joke. Fresh OS loads will always feel snappier right off the bat.

Good times. Ahhhh the memories.

While the above jokes are good and sometimes valid, I still experience products that offer an obviously better user experience overall than just the sum of their parts. RMerlin + Asus is one such example.

I've seen newly released stock Asus firmware 'beat' the existing RMerlin performance for a day or a week. But when RMerlin released his version based on that same latest GPL drop, it was invariably superior. I eventually stopped 'trying' stock firmware. They're always one step behind what RMerlin offers us in the end.

and way more stabllized

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but AiMesh 2.0 setup with 3x different models Asus routers in my tests was actually more stable running plain Asuswrt. AiMesh 2.0 is the main feature of 386 firmware after all.

Maybe in Israel the WiFi is more delicate because of more interferences, and he writes it in better ways.

Wi-Fi part of Asuswrt-Merlin comes from Asuswrt, drivers come from Broadcom for their own Broadcom hardware.

Last edited:
When comparing stock with my firmware, you have to ensure you are comparing oranges to oranges, by comparing releases based on the same code base. If you compare my firmware while based on 386_42095 with a stock firmware based on 386_43xxx, then you might get different results for components related to wifi.

When comparing two firmware based on the same codebase, wifi performance will be identical, as that code is 100% identical between both firmwares.

So at times, it means a newer Asus firmware may perform better, or worse than my firmware, depending on Asus's own changes.