What's new

Lan data transfer speed question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spikey1973

New Around Here
Hey guys (and gals)

Newbee here with a strange question that i am not really sure how to ask properly.. so i just start at the beginning

i personally had a HD raid1 issue which cause me to connect a degraded raid1 drive into an usb 3 external case, connect it to my Laptop (Dell XPS with POP-OS 20-10 Linux) which is connected via wifi 5 to my router.
The router is connected to my Nas (asustor 6604t) via gigabit ports on the router side and 2,5 Giabit on the nas side, connected through a cat7 Lan cable.
I reached a Data transfer rate of 40MB/s with this setup.

Now i need to do a similar thing for a friend but with a different setup.
Nas 1 (WD mycloud ex2 ultra) through a zyxel VMG8825-t50 modem/router to Nas 2 (asustor 6102t), all of these have gigbit Ports.
The copy command is given through my Pop-os laptop, connected through teamviewer to a win10 pc connected to the zyxel router, which smb 1.0 to both nas's.
Currently the data transfer rate is only 10MB/s so about 1/4th of the transfer rate i reached even though i had to use the bottleneck of a USB 3.0 connection.

The copy command is given after drive mapping both nasses to the windows machine and then copy / past, is there a better solution?
is the win10 machine the source? ifso what would be the best approach to take out the influence of this machine on the transfer rate.
would a dirct command from the one nas to the other via the terminal be a better approach?

I looked at this website to see if i could change some win10 settings to improve the transfer rate..: https://windowsreport.com/fix-slow-lan-speed-pc/
but changed settings only decreased the rate from 10MB/s to 350KB/s

since 12TB of data needs to be transfered higher transfer speeds would be very welkom and i don't see any reason why this shouldn't be possible.

any help would be much appreaciated.

SMB and many small file transfer is likely the limitation.
Look at the NAS tests using NASPT directory transfer. you are right in the ball park.

Maybe FTP is possible ?