What's new

LAN Party How To - Part 1: Planning and Power

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

C

cygnes

Hi, there, i'm going to be running a lan event on the 16th april 2010, one thing that has been troubleing me is power, i know there is an article on here, "very usefull" but it only shows what to do if your using a 3 phase system, well the hall i am hiring does not have that, nor does it have a commando socket to plug in anything, how can we safley distrivute the power to the table?

without it overloading and causing many power trips.

any advice ?

If you haven't calculated the power you'll need and hired a site accordingly, you're asking for trouble.

The article really tells you what you need to do for different power requirements.

cool artical thiggins. I organise the Power gear for a couple of big events here in Aus.

Valhalla and Reloaded

At Valhallla we usually run 10 Pc's per 240v 10Amp curcuit.

attached is a photo of the Distro boxes

Power3.jpg

Our usual events have up to 250 machines including admins and servers

For reloaded we top out to 650+ machines.

and as thinggins has pointed out venue choice isn't always about location.. it is about the buildings facilities...

depending on how many will actually be attending the normal outlets may be fine

Great advice above.

I know most venues that regularly have bands and stuff get asked about their power requirements all the time.

They should be able to give you a map of all the circuits and which outlets are connected to them.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!