What's new

LAN speed set up.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Elvis7

Occasional Visitor
Current new setup as my previous single router rog rapture gt-ac5300 couldn't handle my 45+ devices and some had begun dropping wifi.
Didn't realize I had a 1.9GB connection until I purchased the AX11000 pro and ran a built in speed test which gives 1.9GB+.

I've wired my house with cat 8 when I was renovating years ago, why not.

Current set up.

2.5GB modem - > AX11000 pro via the 2.5GB port.

AX11000 pro to the GT Ac5300 via the 1GB ports using cat 8 cable as ai mesh system, placed on the top floor ceiling with antennas flat out. (10-15 devices connected)

AX11000 pro 1gb port to xbox series x via cat 8 cable.

AX11000 pro 10GB port to the 10GB port of dms-106xt using cat 8 cable.

dms-106xt to desktop pc 2.5GB port using cat 8 cable.

dms-106xt to cctv system using cat 8 cable.

AX11000 pro gets 1.9GB speed using built in speed test.
Xbox gets 1BG using speed test.
Desktop pc gets 760MB using speed test.

The desktop pc shows the link speed as 25000MB.
The ax11000 pro shows the link speed between it and the dms-106xt as 10GB.

Why is the desktop not getting near 1 to 2GB speeds.

How are you testing the speed?

Have you tried another LAN cable (a quality Cat5E or Cat6)?

Does using a 2.5GbE port on the DMS-106XT give you better speeds?

What LAN card does the PC have? What driver version (is it the latest)? What firmware version (is it the latest)?

Have you tried Restarting (not just shut down then power up; there is a difference) the PC?

Have you tried an electrical reset?

Power off all devices. Leave their power switches on. Unplug the power for the AC wall plug (and the plug on each device itself, if possible). Unplug all USB devices from everything. Unplug all LAN cables from every switch.

Leave like this for a couple of minutes.

Power on the network starting with the modem, router, switches, and then each wired device in turn.

How are you testing the speed?
Speedtest.Net on desktop
Built in speed test on xbox
Built in speed test on ax11000 pro

Have you tried another LAN cable (a quality Cat5E or Cat6)?
I have a spare cat 8, and a cat 5e I can try tonight but I figured the cable was fine because the link speeds show 2500mb from switch to desktop, and 10gb from ax11000 to switch.
I'll try a direct run from the ax11000 pro 10gb port to the desktop 10GB port, and different cable from switch to desktop
Does using a 2.5GbE port on the DMS-106XT give you better speeds?
Dms106xt gave 700-800mb
Previous dlink 1gb switch gave 500-600mb
What LAN card does the PC have? What driver version (is it the latest)? What firmware version (is it the latest)?
Motherboard is : Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z790 Hero.
Nic- INTEL® 2.5G ETHERNET Port (latest drivers)

Have you tried Restarting (not just shut down then power up; there is a difference) the PC?

Yes

Have you tried an electrical reset?

Not since the switch install.

Power off all devices. Leave their power switches on. Unplug the power for the AC wall plug (and the plug on each device itself, if possible). Unplug all USB devices from everything. Unplug all LAN cables from every switch.

Leave like this for a couple of minutes.

Power on the network starting with the modem, router, switches, and then each wired device in turn.

I'll try it tonight

Update,

Full reset didn't do anything.
Different cables didn't do anything.
Direct connection didn't do anything.

I swapped the 2.5gb port on the ax11000 pro with the 10gb port. Modem to ax11000 pro via 10gb port. Ax11000 pro 2.5gb port to switch 10gb port.

Now the desktop gets 1114MB. Still not the 1.9GB that the router test gets but getting there.

Why would swapping the ports get better results and what can I keep trying to get closer to the speeds I'm paying for.

Update 3
Turned off the ax11000 pro QOS mode.
Now the desktop gets 1920MB speed.

Gonna swap back the 2.5gb port with the 10gb port and see if QOS mode was the issue all along.

Cheers

Edit.

Swapped the ports back and kept QOS off, desktop still getting 1900MB.

Problem solved.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!