What's new

Diversion Large Diversion Filter List

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zim

Occasional Visitor
Does anyone use the large filter list (~23MB) with Diversion on their router?

I've tired this on the AX11000 and despite having plenty of memory and CPU, I've found that it kills the router; my devices can't connect to the DHCP Server, some devices can't connect to internet etc.

I wanted to try the large list as it seems Diversion does not block all the ads (some domains serving ads on SNB are whitelisted, I get it). If I wanted to have a more thorough ad blocker, should I switch to the one with Unbound? Should I explore rPI and AdGuard home?

What are people using out there? I want a through blocker with set it and forget it ease.

???

I've tired this on the AX11000 and despite having plenty of memory and CPU, I've found that it kills the router; my devices can't connect to the DHCP Server, some devices can't connect to internet etc.

I wanted to try the large list as it seems Diversion does not block all the ads (some domains serving ads on SNB are whitelisted, I get it). If I wanted to have a more thorough ad blocker, should I switch to the one with Unbound? Should I explore rPI and AdGuard home?

What are people using out there? I want a through blocker with set it and forget it ease.
I use Large filter list since and not a problem at all, it's a good blocking list as it is well maintained. Admittedly, it uses more memory than others but it's something not to worry about cause the router can manage huge caches together with the swap file. Set your blocking list update twice a week so that diversion clears the caches more frequently if you desire.

In my RT-AC86U, RAM usage goes up by 100MB when I switch from medium list to large list. While the router manage it well, I have opted to use medium list which I find to be enough. On top of it I have added a couple of other small lists and a few blacklist hosts.

I agree on my 5300 the large kills the router especially if your using AIMesh..

???
Thanks. I was hoping this wouldn't be a mem issue as this router does have 1GB of ram. Most of which seems unused.

I use Large filter list since and not a problem at all, it's a good blocking list as it is well maintained. Admittedly, it uses more memory than others but it's something not to worry about cause the router can manage huge caches together with the swap file. Set your blocking list update twice a week so that diversion clears the caches more frequently if you desire.
Thanks. I think I misconfigured some other script maybe that's the culprit. I'll reset the router and try the large list again. Out of curiosity, are you running Skynet and Unbound along with Diversion with the large list?

I agree on my 5300 the large kills the router especially if your using AIMesh..
That's interesting. I do have the mesh system in this case maybe it's best to use the medium list with the AdGuard list: https://v.firebog.net/hosts/AdguardDNS.txt

Thanks. I was hoping this wouldn't be a mem issue as this router does have 1GB of ram. Most of which seems unused.

Thanks. I think I misconfigured some other script maybe that's the culprit. I'll reset the router and try the large list again. Out of curiosity, are you running Skynet and Unbound along with Diversion with the large list?

That's interesting. I do have the mesh system in this case maybe it's best to use the medium list with the AdGuard list: https://v.firebog.net/hosts/AdguardDNS.txt
Diversion, skynet and DOT at the moment but I'd use unbound as DNS only in combination with diversion and skynet with no problems. Experience with those combos the unbound, skynet, diversion(large) were lighter in memory usage.

Last edited:
I sue this list and works without problems for my main router.
Ends up at 1.7xx.xxx domains blocked.
No problems with my router.

Last edited:
why use local add block when you can use nextdns for 3 bucks per month?
if you want you can sing up via my link https://nextdns.io/?from=cbhf5kaz

I'm using this service on my router iPhone android even in my car that running android
easy to setup supports DNS over TLS DNS over HTTPS works great.

why use local add block when you can use nextdns for 3 bucks per month?
if you want you can sing up via my link https://nextdns.io/?from=cbhf5kaz

I'm using this service on my router iPhone android even in my car that running android
easy to setup supports DNS over TLS DNS over HTTPS works great.
Question in return: Why pay what one can do for free and all that without giving your data away to a third party?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!