What's new

News Linksys Adds New Affordable Wi-Fi 6 Max-Stream Router To Its Mesh Portfolio

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
linksys-mr7350-mesh.jpg
The dual-band Linksys Max-Stream AX1800 (MR7350) is a Wi-Fi Certified 6 mesh router that can be used as a primary node or as an additional node in an already existing mesh network.

Powered by a 1.2 GHz quad-core processor, the 2x2 MR7350 has maximum wireless rates of 574 Mbps at 2.4 GHz and 1201 Mbps at 5 GHz, while its touted mesh-enabled range is advertised at 1700 sq. ft. Note that its "Intelligent Mesh" technology is not compatible with other mesh-enabled routers and the product's Wi-Fi Certification does not include Wi-Fi EasyMesh certification.

Aside from the typical mesh-related features (self-healing, seamless roaming), the MR7350 also includes interference eliminating BSS (Basic Service Set), device prioritization, parental controls, guest access, the Linksys App for management and setup, and Alexa compatibility.

Physical interfaces on the MR7350 include five Gbps Ethernet ports (1 x WAN, 4 x LAN) and a single USB 3.0 port.

Available now for purchase, the Max-Stream AX1800 Mesh WiFi 6 Router (MR7350) can be currently found at Linksys.com and BestBuy.com with an MSRP of $149.99.

The only value I see in current "entry" AX products is that the 2.4ghz band has a significant throughput/performance jump over wireless N for IoT devices and general SNR at range. May also offer significant benefit if MU-MIMO actually picks up for newer 2020+ based clients, granted this device is a a mere 2x2 and not a 3x3/4x4 design.

I think the price point should be lower (given my experiences with 2x2 AX) but I guess they have to cover ID, EE, and marketing cost somehow. There's a lot of outdated AC devices still doing well at ridiculous price points at stores like best buy.

It seems like a really odd offering. Like AX is a badge that allows manufacturers to hike the price despite the fact that at this level there is going to be very little perceptible advantage over an established AC setup.

You have to assume that customers who are shopping at this end of the budget spectrum likely don’t have a bevy of AX client devices right now. Wouldn’t those same customers see more benefit from say purchasing used higher end AC equipment for the same price or waiting until AX becomes more bedded in and matured as a technology i.e. better value and more performance and features for the money?

What’s the point of being an early adopter of the low end offerings?

^Most consumers just look at numbers and not actual hardware metrics like 4x4 MIMO for example.

2x2 AX is better than a 2x2 AC. I don't think anyone will dispute this...

The problem? 4x4 AC vs 2x2 AX is apples to oranges. These AX products are just overpriced and 9/10 times offer worse real world performance with AC clients compared to those feeding off a 4x4 AP at the same price point. 4x4 AX will offer comparable performance.. its just youre paying 2-3x the price for something that isn't a necessity.

AX Client push IS needed. Especially to take advantage of AC wave 2 technologies such as MU-MIMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
For 5 GHz, 80 MHz bandwidth, throughput gain between AC and AX devices is minor.

For 2.4 GHz, an AX device can achieve up to twice the throughput of an AC device.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wir...-roundup-five-routers-tested?showall=&start=3

Well.. from personal subjective testing (not objective in any way), AX clients on lower MIMO AX routers go a lot further relative to AC clients on that same AX router..granted I've only tested 3 different AX routers with my AX200 card. The 4x4 MIMO AC routers just seemed a lot better for price/performance/range in my situation. 4x4 AX was the both of best worlds but I could not justify price increase.

That was with both 80mhz and 160mhz bonding on lower channels. I also noticed AX has more higher/stable PHY rates compared to AC WAVE 2 160mhz at the same distance.

And yes, I mentioned 2.4g being a significant upgrade in the first response. It's the only clear upgrade with going 2x2 AX, especially since the 2.4G is limited to N on AC routers. I will agree that 2x2 AX 2.4G is much better than 3x3/4x4 N just due to the protocol upgrade/throughput.

The problem again is lack of clients for IoT devices to really take advantage of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!