What's new

Linksys E2500 DHCP Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Listonomas

New Around Here
hi Folks,

i´ve got an Linksys E2500 router, about 15 days ago, and I'm facing a problem with it.

After the set up process, the router works fine for a short time, and than it lose de Internet conectivity. As I could see, the problem is that the Router isn't renewing my IP Address with the ISP. After rebooting it, internet is fine again, until next time for the IP Adress is refreshel.

the linksys support couldn´t help me, they will revew the case on their labs, and asked me to wait about 15 days.

Anyone had a similar issue? any help?

thanks friends,

Best regards,
ListoNoMas

hi Folks,

i´ve got an Linksys E2500 router, about 15 days ago, and I'm facing a problem with it.

After the set up process, the router works fine for a short time, and than it lose de Internet conectivity. As I could see, the problem is that the Router isn't renewing my IP Address with the ISP. After rebooting it, internet is fine again, until next time for the IP Adress is refreshel.

the linksys support couldn´t help me, they will revew the case on their labs, and asked me to wait about 15 days.

Anyone had a similar issue? any help?

thanks friends,

Best regards,
ListoNoMas

I would press your ISP - you have a mainstream router and they should help you.

Is your modem DSL? Cable modem?
Does it use PPPoE (many DSLs do). PPPoE can be a major PITA.

stevech,

I've got an Scientific Atlanta Modem, it's Cable modem with Dynamic IP renew, from my ISP. (DHCP), not PPPoE.

I had spoken with TechSupport from my ISP, and they told me, the IP address where renewed after 5h usage, and they couldn't help me with support.

After that, I called the Linksys/Cisco Support. What they told me was that they found an Issue with this model, E2500. The problem is that the Router do not renew DHCP connections. So, after 5h, the ISP requests the IP Renew and the router lose the connection.

The only solution Cisco gave me is to wait until their lab could review the issue, and it's possible that they will publish a new firmware.

any ideas?? or must I wait thouse 15 days??

No mor linksys for me...

Hi,
Mean time you can try Tomato or dd-wrt f/w to see if it does the same thing. Also did you clear the NVRAM?

stevech,

After that, I called the Linksys/Cisco Support. What they told me was that they found an Issue with this model, E2500. The problem is that the Router do not renew DHCP connections. So, after 5h, the ISP requests the IP Renew and the router lose the connection.
That doesn't make sense unless it's something unique to your modem's method of being a DHCP server (does your PC connected directly to the modem (briefly) also fail to renew DHCP? DHCP renewal on the WAN side is fundamental.

If DHCP's renewal process is as Cisco says, I'd return the product as defective.

I rather suspect that the guy at Cisco was wrong/stupid/lazy.

That doesn't make sense unless it's something unique to your modem's method of being a DHCP server (does your PC connected directly to the modem (briefly) also fail to renew DHCP? DHCP renewal on the WAN side is fundamental.

If DHCP's renewal process is as Cisco says, I'd return the product as defective.

I rather suspect that the guy at Cisco was wrong/stupid/lazy.

I totally agree with you, I tried to return the router as defective, but what the Tech support says is that it was a Software incompatibility, and if i get the same model, it will crash again. I'm at Colombia, so I can't simply get my money back. And the store to receive the router asked me for a support number where they do ask for a return of the device.

to clarify, the DHCP issue: When the ISP renew the IP address, the router can't negotiate this renewal and lose connection, all my Wi-Fi network still works fine, but no Internet. If i connect the cable directly from the router, I’ve got the same problem. But, connecting the Cable modem on the PC, all works fine.

Reading in the internet, I saw more people with the same problem with the E2500, also one review said that the main issue of the E2500 was that the router needs a Live Internet connection, because it will fail to renew the IP.

Anyways, I may try a 3rd Party Firmware, while waiting Cisco ("award winning" :eek: ) Support

I wonder if this is rather unique to the E2500 used with the Scientific Atlanta model xxx cable modem.

You could press your ISP to swap out the cable modem. Mine, Time Warner, has many different vintages of cable modems they use, most all are Motorola SBxxx. Perhaps a different one doesn't have the DHCP incompatibility.

I'd just set the E2500 aside, with a Cisco ticket number pending, and go spend $40 on a new router from a walk-in store that will take returns without involving you with the manufacturer (such as Fry's or Newegg.com). The retailer that you bought from should take it back or swap for some other brand/model, assuming its not too old. My hunch is that it's Scientific Atlanta's fault in not doing DHCP or DHCP relay correctly. If you are nerdy and patient, you can do a Wireshark capture of the packet exchanges and see who's at fault, or we can help you if you send us the capture.

Ironically, Cisco acquired Scientific Atlanta (I think that was 5 years ago). So if your modem was pre-Cisco, it's old enough to warrant a swap out. My ISP never has balked at a house call to swap, or I go to their office to swap.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is rather unique to the E2500 used with the Scientific Atlanta model xxx cable modem.

You could press your ISP to swap out the cable modem. Mine, Time Warner, has many different vintages of cable modems they use, most all are Motorola SBxxx. Perhaps a different one doesn't have the DHCP incompatibility.

I'd just set the E2500 aside, with a Cisco ticket number pending, and go spend $40 on a new router from a walk-in store that will take returns without involving you with the manufacturer (such as Fry's or Newegg.com). The retailer that you bought from should take it back or swap for some other brand/model, assuming its not too old. My hunch is that it's Scientific Atlanta's fault in not doing DHCP or DHCP relay correctly. If you are nerdy and patient, you can do a Wireshark capture of the packet exchanges and see who's at fault, or we can help you if you send us the capture.

Ironically, Cisco acquired Scientific Atlanta (I think that was 5 years ago). So if your modem was pre-Cisco, it's old enough to warrant a swap out. My ISP never has balked at a house call to swap, or I go to their office to swap.

Thanks for the help, doc...

The Scientific Atlanta model is 2203. I really don't know about any incompatibility here, and this model is reeeeeally old, from July 2004.
I had an D-Link D300 before, and worked fine, till the day my d-link died.

the Wireshark that you said, i have no Idea of what is it, but soon as I get home, I will google it, and try to do it (yes I'm Nerd enough). And I will call my ISP provider to see the possibility of a Modem swap!
Thank you man for your patience.

Best Regards,
BMH.

circa 2004--- I would insist that the ISP swap it out for a newer one.
I have a hunch that'll fix the DHCP issue.