What's new

Linksys E4200v1 vs Linksys E4200v2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dr Strangelove

Occasional Visitor
Given there has been a change from the Linksys E4200v1 Broadcom chipset to the Linksys E4200v2 Marvell chipset, I was wondering what the performance between the two is like.

Knowing that the Linksys E4200v2 does not support any alternative firmware such as Tomato and DD-WRT at this time (to my knowledge) on the Marvell chipset, many have suggested just sticking with the Linksys E4200v1 for that reason.

However, there may be those who are satisfied with the Linksys firmware and have three stream WiFi clients that can utilize some of the Linksys E4200v2 features like 450Mbps on both wireless bands.

I have read of people who have purchased the Linksys E4200v2 and would be interested to get some feedback on their experience with the device.

I had a bad experience with the E4200v1. I'd go with a cheaper more reliable and more bug free router.

Nothing wrong E4200V1 besides getting hot but I am running a lot of network traffic through it.. 4x Android Tablets all play netflix without a glitch. Downloading and updating apps off Android Market. Monitoring the E4200V1 using Cisco Android app called Cisco Easy Connect Express. To me the E4200V1 is quick, even with P2P and 6 heavy downloads and still watch 802.11n @ 300mbps @ 20/40MHz on 1080p streaming from Amazon Prime Instant Videos on my SONY SMP-N100 (8x) to my SONY HDTV. No issues. Even wired 100mbps instead slightly quicker. Still Hulu Plus and Netflix run smooth.

I did think about getting the next model But SNB Editor didn't say it was the best, so I'll keep what I got plus spending top dollar for the E4200V2 might not be the right move right now.

Oh yes I am using the stock ROM the last updated on for the E4200V1 that works nice with the two Cisco switches I did get for it to keep the switch load off the router so the router can handle other task. Cisco switch for 100mbps and Cisco switch for 1000mbps. There are two Cisco RE1000V1 here too. I place those on each side of the house here and keep the E4200V1 in the center.

I've been programming in Android since 2010 and got the WiFi programmed to peak signal capture. So now the tablets pickup signal at max it can handle. WiFi Analyzer Android App (free) one of the best you can get to really test your WiFi network in your dwelling or outside. It has real-time WiFi analog meter gauge with sound.

Other than the E4200V1 the ESR300H High Power 200mW or 23dBM can blast the dwelling with WiFi the only issue with such a router it that the signal is not 100% and does degrade or the unit overheats and goes duff. E4200V1 and the 2x RE1000V1 keep the signal very good to excellent. I use cloud base WiFi signal tool to see how well they do here. 100% from E4200V1 distance about 50Ft and RE1000V1 distance about 75FT 100% and RE1000V1-2 distance about 100FT comes in at 89 to 94% very good coverage.

Several of us have mode progress on making the E4200v2 do what you want it to do. We've got a GPL build tree and have successfully built packages (including dropbear ssh) which can be added to running routers using the "dumb" 2.0.37 firmware. We've also managed to build some additional features into a "smart" 2.1.39 firmware image so you can flash your way to ssh happiness there.

Hacking the Linksys E4200v2