What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin is now 10 years old!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Congratulations and thank you for all your hard work! The internet is a better place with @RMerlin ! I first installed Merlin firmware on an AC68P 6ish years ago and came back to ASUS because of this fantastic project.
The same here. The firmware/features/support/this forum has kept me in the Asus camp.

Happy Birthday! Thanks for all you do Eric.

Thank you Eric.
I love your software used it since 8-9 year back on my high end at this time RT-16U.

I am very thankful for your efforts. There's no doubt that the ASUS firmware is better because of your efforts, and I suspect that the wifi router community in general has been pushed ahead faster as a result of your work.

The same here. The firmware/features/support/this forum has kept me in the Asus camp.
This rings true for me. I sincerely hope you are properly recognized, by them, for your valuable contributions to their router business. Availability of your firmware is why I switched to, and remain in, the ASUS camp. I also want to thank this great community for providing invaluable help and support, I've learned a lot here and continue to do so.

Congratulations!

@RMerlin Where do you see and hope your firmware is 10 years from now, and how long do you think you will keep doin it? :)
I honestly have no idea. I doubt I will still be working on this in 10 years from now (as that would mean that the Asuswrt codebase itself would be 20+ years old by then). But since I didn't expect for this to reach the current state either, I could be wrong.

Congratulations and best wishes!
Come 10 more years with great success and let's all be there to see it!

Congratulations this is quite the milestone.

Congratulations and thanks for all your work. Unfortunately, I'm no longer using my AT-AC68U as I'm with my folks now hooked into their AT&T Router and didn't see a good reason to connect the router to that one... Hopefully someday I'll get my own place again and can use it again.

Happy Birthday! :)

In 2010 Asus announced a new high-end router to replace the RT-N16. I believe that new model was called the RT-N76U at the time. It was finally launched in Canada in early 2012 (a few months after the US launch), under the RT-N66U model name. I spent close to $200 CAD on that router to replace an old, modded Linksys router that was running either DD-WRT or Tomato (can't remember which I ran last on it).

On April 5th 2012 I released a modified firmware on the Asus VIP forums. The RM1 release included patches that I had applied on top of 3.0.0.3.108 GPL code. The project didn't have a formal name yet, "Tomato Regrowth" was the name I was considering, as these first few months were often spent re-enabling Tomato features that Asus had disabled when they forked it to create Asuswrt, such as SSH and HTTPS support. These archives also contain changelogs. Here's the very first one:

For the nostalgic, I have uploaded these first releases to Onedrive (which included the patch code within the archive), in the Museum folder: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuCcWdNeYuXMixKSyygGPvuBAag6 Do not try to flash them however, they were for the RT-N66U original CFE which only supported 32KB of nvram.

Something old... and now something new. For those who are more interested in what's coming next, an early preview can be seen in the https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/test-builds folder of what has kept me (very) busy these past two weeks.

10 years of doing this is pretty incredible, I never expected this project to ever turn into what it has become today.

Happy birthday!
CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S BEEN 10 YEARS the n66 was the router i bought to replace a linksys 600 something been using your FW since then , never had a problem thanks

CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S BEEN 10 YEARS the n66 was the router i bought to replace a linksys 600 something been using your FW since then , never had a problem thanks
Come to think of it, the RT-N66U was one of my first routers too. I deviated to Netgear (Nighthawk) at one point, but other than that have never looked back.

I tinkered with the WRT54G and DD-WRT(still own 4 collecting dust) for years then upgraded to an RT-N16 with Tomato.... When the 'Dark Knight' came out and I could afford one used from Fleabay, Merlin got loaded and I was hooked (still own 3).

Knowing AsusWRT-Merlin has been around 10 years just makes me feel that much older ha :p

Congrats and all the best in the future.

Come to think of it, the RT-N66U was one of my first routers too. I deviated to Netgear (Nighthawk) at one point, but other than that have never looked back.
My very first Asus was the RT-N56U (the wedge) after a number of Linksys BEFW11S4 and WRT54G variants in my early router days. Gave Linksys (Cisco) another try after that before coming back to Asus for good once I finally woke up and found Asuswrt-Merlin. Good times.

These builds are based off 47885, so I have no idea which of these CVEs are fixed, which aren't, and which don't apply (they are still confidential, so there's no details as to what they are).
No problem, I was just curious since these CVEs were mentioned in the release notes for 48377 and I was wondering they were also in 47885 or were added in a later build.

ASUS GT-AX6000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.48377
1. Fixed OpenSSL CVE-2022-0778
4. Fixed CVE-2022-23970, CVE-2022-23971, CVE-2022-23972, CVE-2022-23973, CVE-2022-CVE-2022-25595, CVE-2022-25596

No problem, I was just curious since these CVEs were mentioned in the release notes for 48377 and I was wondering they were also in 47885 or were added in a later build.

ASUS GT-AX6000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.48377
1. Fixed OpenSSL CVE-2022-0778
4. Fixed CVE-2022-23970, CVE-2022-23971, CVE-2022-23972, CVE-2022-23973, CVE-2022-CVE-2022-25595, CVE-2022-25596
I already fixed the OpenSSL one in 386.5_2. No idea about the others, they are still confidential so I don't know what they cover.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!