What's new

Linksys EA9500 Max-Stream AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

just fyi , i prefer to not use ch 161 for the high 5 gig as it does cause some issues , i prefer to use ch 153 and set it manually

just fyi , i prefer to not use ch 161 for the high 5 gig as it does cause some issues , i prefer to use ch 153 and set it manually
Yeah that is pretty lame. I was so excited getting this router. I completely for got to check the hardware version number.
FWIW I exchanged the v1 unit for a v1.1 unit due to loss of internet connectivity on both wired and wireless connections every 12 hours. So the v1.1 unit exhibits the same behavior. This was with updated firmware and multiple resets. I gave up and returned it. Now using Orbi with no problems.

Not a fan of this so called band steering. All my 5GHz devices connect to 5GHz 2 and none on 5GHz 1. 5GHz gives me nothing close to my 200Mbps download speed. I went back to my RT-AC88U and it blows the doors off the EA9500 5GHz bands. Band steering is a joke.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If it is a DFS issue. I am quite surprised it would fart so bad with a hard disconnect and not correct itself. Well it did. But like 5 minutes later by itself. I was told the connection by that device just came back on like nothing even happened. Everything else was working fine on the network. It was just this iPod Touch 6th gen with the issue.

It's not DFS at least...

I'm thinking reset the Network Settings in the iPod 6G - could be a funky profile in there - go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings

Should be fine after that...

V1 and V1.1 can accept the same firmware. I tried both and both work on the V1.1.

Little tip - since you're primarily Apple hardware wise - try setting the 2GHz and 5GHz Radios to the same SSID...

Not a fan of this so called band steering. All my 5GHz devices connect to 5GHz 2 and none on 5GHz 1. 5GHz gives me nothing close to my 200Mbps download speed. I went back to my RT-AC88U and it blows the doors off the EA9500 5GHz bands. Band steering is a joke.

How can you tell what devices are connected to what ever radio? I want to check this and see if its doing the same thing here.

It's not DFS at least...

I'm thinking reset the Network Settings in the iPod 6G - could be a funky profile in there - go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings

Should be fine after that...

Just done this. Going to do it on all of our Apple devices for good measure.

FWIW I exchanged the v1 unit for a v1.1 unit due to loss of internet connectivity on both wired and wireless connections every 12 hours. So the v1.1 unit exhibits the same behavior. This was with updated firmware and multiple resets. I gave up and returned it. Now using Orbi with no problems.

You have no idea how close I was to getting the Orbi. But since the EA9500 was on sale for $264 when I got it. I picked that over the Orbi on price. Please let me know how it goes and if you notice much better stability over the EA9500. Sounds like it already is for you.

Network map dude.

Omg. I did not even notice that. Derp. Thank you as well! Think I was misreading that other page as well. Because all device are on 5GHz radio 1 and 1 device is on 5GHz radio 2. I have the following devices using 5GHz.

iPad Air 2
2 iPod Touch 6th gen
Dell XPS 13 9350 laptop
PS4 Pro
LG 65UB9300 4k smart tv

Last edited:

If 2 units done it in a row. I wonder if the modem you are using just wont place nice with it? I have a SB6190.

I also purchase this unit, and im expecting some nice setup from my old linksys E4200 that already showing their age.
Purchase in amazon.co.uk using the code Code QSN9U7E4 and get discount of 43£.

tem Subtotal: £216.99
Postage & Packing: £6.65
Promotion Applied: -£43.40
Order Total: £221.70 (260€ or 275$)
Other prices in Europe are around +350€...

The main reason to chose the EA9500 was the 8 Lan ports + price + reviews, since theres more gadgets than people at my house i hope this model to be reliable.
The objective is also to remove the ethernet switch and bridge wireless router.

Wired
Anthem receiver
Lg Oled
Oppo
Nvidia Shield TV
Synology NAS
Apple TV
Satelite Box

Wireless
iphone 6
iPhone 5s
Shield Tablet 1
Shield Tablet 2
iPad Air 2
IPad 2
Macbook air 13
Macbook air 11
TV samsung (other room)

i will try to give my best impressions at later date..

I received the unit, but it must be faulty
If i disable the guest network the 2,4ghz band is gone...

Last edited:
Try a factory reset. Check for latest firmware. If new version is available. Install and follow up with another factory reset. Then configure. See if that helps solve the problem. If not. I would say its faulty. I had mine up and running for a solid week before taking it down to test the WRT3200ACM. But it will be going back up after my testing is done for the week.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!