What's new

Linksys EA9500 vs Asus RT-AC5300 (tests enclosed)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which router would you buy?

• Total voters
@njweb - if you try to woodshed me - back it up with FACTS and OBJECTIVE repeatable data - no adhoc testing and chicken scratch...

Again - I trust Tim's data - he's done the hard work, and his data is repeatable as he documents his steps.

Again -apologies if you feel hurt by my comments - this is just my opinion - and enthusiasm counts - you can do better...

@thiggins - this is one of the reasons why I'm just considering walking away from all this stuff...

It's not productive for me, nor the community...

@thiggins - this is one of the reasons why I'm just considering walking away from all this stuff...

It's not productive for me, nor the community...

Eh I think you offer valuable input to the community and would really hate to see you go. Would rough estimates and findings sound better? I don't think njweb is a professional at this and has the time or resources like @thiggins No disrespect to any of you either. Just saying. Both you guys are being to harsh with each other. Calm down and have a drink! :cool:

@njweb - sorry if you feel a bit hurt. Walk it off...

What you did, and how you reported is highly subjective at best.

Not hurt, just shocked and disappointed, after putting in so much effort, is a better way to put it. Your posts usually seem logical and reasonable, but in this case I am dumbfounded quite frankly:

Agreed re. features pros and cons, those are always subjective since everyone has their own thoughts on what they like and what they don't.
However, I am not sure how Speedtest.net results and Network Signal Info results can be described as "highly subjective subjective".
Higher speed results represent faster throughput, so I am not sure how that can be described as subjective. The same goes for signal strength results... I am only reporting what the app shows in conditions that are as controlled as possible (outside of a lab setting).

Happy to stop posting my results if they are deemed to have little value. In the past I received plenty of thanks for this, including in this thread, but I have a busy work life and limited free time, so why waste everyone's time with "subjective" reviews. :)
I appreciate Tim's in depth unbiased reviews, as well as the tests a few others here have posted (wish more people would do so to increase the sample size, but I understand it takes time. I know that all too well from personal experience). I simply figured if I could help some people make a decision, why not post test results that can save others from having to buy multiple routers, run tests and having to then return several routers before deciding on one.

Anyway, on that note, my wife is waiting. Going to watch a move in bed; long day ahead tomorrow, again...
Again no hard feelings. I have thick skin now (need it in the corporate world).

Last edited:
I have no problem with people posting results of their testing, as long as test methodology is described and the methods are valid.

sfx: Go take some time off and come back when your agitation and impatience have subsided.

And before peeps take me into the woodshed...

In my honest opinion - the AC1900 class is the right place to be - and the RT-AC68 series, along with Netgear's R7000 and Linksys' WRT1900 - they're open, mature, and probably the best value in the AC1900 and above class.

The RT-AC68U series, for folks that want open devices, is the right one - hands down - even with recent developments in response to the FCC lockdown - RMerlin and others are working on this, and I trust they'll find a way.

I've always thought the X-Streams are a poor value for end-users, confirmation bias aside - putting two AP's co-located is not a good deal for performance or capacity, better off saving your money there - best wifi performance is not bigger numbers, it's location on where the AP is in relation to the client.

So woodshed away ... bring it on...

That's why I made my "none of the above comment". I didn't see a router in that list that I would want, although the WRT1900AC is finally getting better with openWRT and dd-wrt firmware improving. My choices would be the R7000 or RT-AC68U. Far from "taking you to the woodshed", just because people disagree with you doesn't make you subject to punishment, although it may seem that way at times *smile*.

I think that you have a point of view (that often agrees with mine, by the way *smile*), and I'd hate to lose that. Stick around, guy.

i have to say i have just noticed the claims on the ea9500 page about it working with the netgear range extender and using seamless roaming

now you would need a pretty dam big house to need a repeater if the claims about coverage are even any where near correct , but this whole seamless roaming thing has me wondering why we need such high end wifi routers if this 802.11k works as claimed

Last edited:
i have an ASUS RT-AC5300 and it isn't giving me good range in my new house, I also got tired of its flimsy antennas that never stay in place. So I bought the Linksys EA9500 today, the range didn't improve much but I notice the speed is a bit higher.

I have a 100Mb/S connection and with the ASUS RT-AC5300, I was getting around 78MBPS on speedtest.net, now I am getting 91MBPS, not that the router is better, but maybe it has a bit stronger range?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!