What's new

Review Linksys MX8500 Atlas Max 6E Wi-Fi Mesh System Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Product Review

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
Linksys MX8500 Atlas Max 6E
Linksys' Atlas Max 6E Wi-Fi Mesh System is the most expensive Wi-Fi mesh system you can buy, but save your money.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Last edited:
Linksys says it all, unfortunately.

In a situation here. I currently have a Linksys MX5300 single unit. I ordered the Asus AXE11000 BUT, I am wondering if I should order this new Linksys MX8501 instead? I could use the MX5300 as a wired/wireless (undecided) child node. Would that be the better bang for the buck/performance? Or just go with the single unit Asus AXE11000 router? We are big media consumption/gamers in the house. Currently have about 40 devices connected to the Linksys MX5300.

What's wrong with your existing setup?
The ASUS has many more features/settings than the Linksys. So if you need that, the ASUS is a better choice as your root node/main router.

I read the article, and I can't imagine spending that amount of money for that type of system.
Casa Griswald is a palatial (;)) single level tract home of 2500sqft, so we've been fortunate enough to cover "our area" with a Main/AP, which for me is easy to maintain.

What's wrong with your existing setup?
The ASUS has many more features/settings than the Linksys. So if you need that, the ASUS is a better choice as your root node/main router.
That is exactly what I am looking for. More features/settings to take advantage of the hardware performance. I feel with Linksys while the hardware is there. It’s hampered by lackluster firmware that does not take advantage of the hardware. At the same time. I was willing to sacrifice some of that with Linksys again only if it was a benefit having a parent WiFi 6E node and child node. Since I already own the MX5300. I am getting the impression you would go with the single unit Asus over the dual Linksys setup? This would also be my first Asus router. I have only owned Linksys routers.

It's just that FOMO* cost so much money, when there are less expensive alternatives for a great network.

*fear of missing out

For this price I would expect a flower pot space on top of each Linksys unit with automatic drip irrigation system.

I went with the Linksys setup. I didn’t even open up the Asus and returning it. Setup was simple and great. I have the MX8501 in my bedroom and the MX5300 in the living room. I ended up going wired for the child node. I am more then pleased. WiFi is much improved! Zero regrets going with this setup and should be good for quite some time.

I too went with the Linksys set up before this review came out since I was in the window of returning a WiFi 6 equipment. I have all 8503 with 3 nodes and have them ethernet backhaul and the set up has been working great. The review is too technical for me and I am assuming all the latency issues are due to the dynamic wireless backhaul that Linksys implemented. However they have done that on their previous products too and I am not sure what the results on these previous products are such MX10 are and the current 8503 has become worse due to this? Has this feedback been provided back to Linksys and if so what's their say on this?

Yes, the reason for poor mesh performance is the wireless backhaul. I don't test mesh systems with Ethernet backhaul because that bypasses the primary value proposition for Wi-Fi mesh systems.

I always let companies know when I post a review for a product they are provided. So far, there has been no feedback from Linksys.

The only previous Linksys mesh system tested was the original Velop. The benchmarks were different and didn't include latency. But it didn't do too badly.

Might be a stupid question. Should I have put the newer MX8501 in the living room instead of my bedroom? Does it even matter?

Both products have four stream client facing radios for 2.4 and 5 GHz. Only the MX8501 has 6 GHz. It should be closest to where your 6E devices are for best performance. Where is your internet connection ?

I went ahead and made the move. What a bone head decision as I should have done it in the first place. Guess I for got because I did not want to run 2 25ft cables from my room to living room. It still worked out though.

Please bare with me I need to make sure I set this up right.

modem-Parent node-Switch-Child node

Is that correct? I have one of the switch ports connected to the internet port with child node. Or does it need to be a lan port instead same child node?

Last edited:
Please bare with me I need to make sure I set this up right.

modem-Parent node-Switch-Child node

Is that correct? I have one of the switch ports connected to the internet port with child node. Or does it need to be a lan port instead same child node?
That depends on the device. As long as you have an AP mode, the WAN port should be fine for most devices, but you really need to check the manual, as not all routers work the same in AP mode.

I followed this from Linksys here https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=217442

11. Can I add a switch to my Velop network?

Yes. You can use an available ethernet port on any of your nodes to connect your switch. To learn how to connect a manageable switch to your Velop

just with the switch in the middle. Think I got it?!?!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!