What's new

Linksys Router Keeps Rebooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dionjdr14

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

I just moved into a 2,400 sq. ft. house about a month ago. For the past two weeks, my router disconnects each day (multiple times a day). I started out with the router Spectrum (my provider) gave. After some days of it disconnecting, I went to swap it thinking it was bad, but was told I’d have the same issues with a different one and was told to buy one from Best Buy. So I bought a Linksys AC2200 mesh router 4 days ago, b I have the same issues. Spectrum hasn’t shown any drops in service. My router will lose connection but will boot itself back up after 1-2 minutes. So it seems like it is rebooting itself for some reason. I have called Linksys a few times and everything they have had me do does not work (change power outlet, reset to factory setting). Has anyone else experienced this? I have about 11-12 devices connected at once (2 cell phones, 2 Apple watches, Echo, Echo show, two smart TVs, work laptop, Ring Doorbell).

I started out with the router Spectrum (my provider) gave. After some days of it disconnecting, I went to swap it thinking it was bad, but was told I’d have the same issues with a different one and was told to buy one from Best Buy.

Did Spectrum tell you that?

From your description, it sounds like you have a bad modem

Spectrum told me that. The problem is, there is not enough time for me to connect my laptop directly into the modem to make sure the modem isn’t dropping signal. Each time the router “reboots” the power and online lights on my spectrum modem remain solid blue. Would a very brief issue with the modem cause my router to reboot itself like that? I don’t understand why Spectrum or Linksys Tech help haven’t told me to try a new modem.

can you connect your laptop directly to the modem ethernet port and login to the modem ?

When the Linksys router is connected with its WAN port to the Modem, what do the lights on the ethernet ports indicate during the drops ?

Is the spectrum "modem" a modem only or a router/modem combination device ?

Have you tried a different ethernet cable between the Linksys and the "modem" ?

I was able to connect my laptop directly to the modem and get internet. However, since it’s so sporadic when the issues happen, I’d have to leave my laptop connected to the modem indefinitely which would mean my router wouldn’t be connected and I couldn’t use other devices.

I have not noticed what the light colors are. I’ll check next time it happens. All I know is the solid blue light on top of the router starts blinking blue, then it’ll change to red for 30s to 1 minute. Then it’ll go back to the normal solid blue.

The Spectrum Modem is a modem only.

I have not tried a new Ethernet cable. That is the next thing I will try.

When the Linksys router is connected with its WAN port to the Modem, what do the lights on the ethernet ports indicate during the drops ?

hi, in response to this. My router has rebooted 3 times this morning within 15 minutes. The lights on the back of the router, one is green and one is orange. These stay the same when the router reboots.

If you manually reboot the Linksys, do the lights do the same thing for about the same time ?

Try this - leave the Linksys disconnected from the modem and powered on. Does it have the same behavior as before ?

If you stay connected to the modem with your computer for an extended period with no issue, i would suggest the Linksys is having an issue.

If it is the Linksys having an issue, the first thing i would look at is power - specifically the wall plug power supply brick. The hardest part to replacing these is getting the correct connector on end to the router.

Is the Linksys plugged into the same power connection as the modem ? If on a strip, try another wall plug if possible.

The other possibility is thermal overheating or mechanical damage from the move. Both would necessitate replacement.

Thank you so much for your help! After swapping my modem with Spectrum today, I was setting up the router again and was having issues connecting. I was able to connect my laptop directly into the modem and had internet. So I had to call Linksys to remote into my laptop and walk through setting up the router. Luckily, the router decided to “reboot” itself while tech support was watching and she said the router is probably defective. So I am heading to Best Buy to swap out (or get a slightly upgraded router) and hopefully won’t have any more issues!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!