What's new

Linksys Updates Smart Wi-Fi App...Finally!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
linksys_new_app.jpg
Linksys today announced a long over due refresh of its Smart Wi-Fi app for use with its entire line of Smart Wi-Fi routers.

In addition to a completely redesigned "contemporary" interface, there are new features including:
  • Intelligent Router Offline Notification (Initially Available On Ea9500 Router)
  • Guest Access Now Supports Up To 50 Guests
  • Bandwidth prioritization
  • Parental controls
The Android version is due out tomorrow (7/22) in the Google Play store and the iOS version will be downloadable from the iTunes App Store whenever Apple finishes blessing it.

Downloaded, works surprisingly well. Very easy to use and quite a lot of functionality.

I'm using the APP now with the EA9500 and it works great. Big improvement from the old APP.

It's a progress and I like it. However the app or every similar app for routers needs to provide the clients stats, bandwidth monitor etc.

The Android version is due out tomorrow (7/22) in the Google Play store and the iOS version will be downloadable from the iTunes App Store whenever Apple finishes blessing it.

It's in the App Store - took it for a test run, as I do manage a couple of Linky's offsite - shiny chrome, looks nice, but I think the older App version, at least on iOS, was easier to use... (and not that it was easy in the first place, but the redesign seems to be focused on shiny chrome, not functionality) - just my opinion...

This newer version supports the EA9500 router? This is good news but how about Linksys updates the overall management of the routers. For example, add new features to parental controls. Please update bandwidth usage. Maybe add web history so you can see which computer and wireless device is hitting which sites. Also add filters like Keyword.

This is where Asus routers are better than Linksys. Asus offers more features to manage your client access.

This newer version supports the EA9500 router? This is good news but how about Linksys updates the overall management of the routers. For example, add new features to parental controls. Please update bandwidth usage. Maybe add web history so you can see which computer and wireless device is hitting which sites. Also add filters like Keyword.

This is where Asus routers are better than Linksys. Asus offers more features to manage your client access.

Yes it supports the EA9500. And on new firmware features for Linksys stock firmware I wouldn't hold my breathe.

Trust me, I am not holding on to anything, well life but not my breathe. That is my biggest complaint, among other things, that I have with Linksys and/or Belkin. They are very slow to release new firmware versions and new features. Do they not have programmers working for them? I know Asus releases firmware at least twice a year. I am not sure about Netgear. The EA9500 user interface looks identical to WRT 1900 UI. OpenVPN Server is meaningless to me. Maybe to another user, it might be important. The Smart Wifi tools and router settings look identical. I was hoping that a newer router means new features added to the UI. Wishful thinking!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!