What's new

Linksys WET610N Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge with Dual-Band Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Review for WAP610N & WET610N

When will you review the pair WAP610N & WET610N for HD?

Thanks in advance

simultaneous

Hey this may be a dumb question but, I have a WRT610N router and WET610N bridge connected to my slingbox. I bought this pair because I've always been a fan of linksys and the marketing materials hype the video throughput. Both products have the word simultaneous in the name. I thought this meant the bridge would connect on A and G simultaneously, but that doesn't seem to be the case. What makes the WET610N a "simultaneous" A + G bridge?

The WET610N doesn't have "simultaneous" in its name and has only one radio.

connecting to a hidden SSID is a bug in some linksys devices

Whether or not it can be easily hacked is of no relevance.

The device cannot connect to a hidden SSID. This is a normal function of wireless devices. Just because you don't approve of the function does not mean the function doesn't count. Hiding it is just another way to prevent eyes from seeing it in the first place. It doesn't stop someone who wants to get in, but it is one more hurdle they have to jump over. They may pick on a different ssid. If it is broadcasting, it is likely that that person's security settings are lower...maybe their password is easier to crack. It is wise to hide the SSID. It is one more (albeit thin) layer of security.

The WGA600 also has the same issue. It connects, but as soon as you disable the SSID broadcast, it disconnects, but all other devices (pc's, adapters, etc) stay connected.

Linksys has a bug in some of their firmware and won't admit it.

It is a disappointment when a device does not function to industry standard features.

Basically all wireless is "easily" hacked (depending on your knowledge level and utilities at your disposal), so if a boat anchor doesn't connect to my wireless router...that is ok, because it is easily hacked anyway.... yeah

A crobar can break the lock to your front door, so you might as well leave the door unlocked because they'll get in anyway.

Now you know what it feels like to be belittled. Don't side-step the person's question by pretending you know more. Help them or stay out of the way.

Hurray for me, I am unregistered too...now isn't that frustrating for you?

I would'nt declare a device a dissapointmet because it has an issue with hidden SSID,simply because one can monitor association requests and probe request via sniffer, that in addition to the fact that even with hidden SSID, beacons are still sent.

Hidden SSID is easily hacked and is not really needed when you use RSN methods(WPA/WPAII).

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have a quick question.

I have a spare, unused WRT160N. Instead of using it as a repeater (and cutting throughput in half), could I use a WET610N (connected via 5GHz w/ my WRT610N) and connect it to the Internet port of my WRT160N?

I have a spare, unused WRT160N. Instead of using it as a repeater (and cutting throughput in half), could I use a WET610N (connected via 5GHz w/ my WRT610N) and connect it to the Internet port of my WRT160N?
Yes. That should work. I suggest you use a Static IP on the WRT160N WAN port so that you don't get disconnects when the DHCP lease expires.

Thanks thiggins! Which route do you recommend going? Using a 2nd WRT610N as a repeater or using a WET610N + the WRT160N?

General question

Hi,

Hopefully my comments and question are met with some interest, for I cannot find resolution to the following...

After several unproductive, stress-inducing hours (ney 2 days!) trying to flash a router for dd-wrt (and subsequently bricking it), I was curious about this item.

I'm trying to set up a bridge for my xbox 360, and am now considering this product against the proprietary microsoft wireless adapter for the system.

Question is: does this product allow you to set up wireless bridge for more than one thing at the same time? I have blu-ray, internet-ready HD tv, and the 360. My primary focus is the 360, but it would be awesome if this allowed all 3 items to connect via wireless bridge.

Linksys currently has a refurb for much less than the xbox wireless adapter, which so far has me leaning toward it.

The router i'd be running it with is an alternate, non-modded linksys wrt54G2 v1.

Thanks for the forum topic.

Question is: does this product allow you to set up wireless bridge for more than one thing at the same time? I have blu-ray, internet-ready HD tv, and the 360. My primary focus is the 360, but it would be awesome if this allowed all 3 items to connect via wireless bridge.
The WET610N supports multiple clients. Just connect a switch to the WET610N Ethernet port and plug the multiple devices into the switch.

Yes. That should work. I suggest you use a Static IP on the WRT160N WAN port so that you don't get disconnects when the DHCP lease expires.

My WRT610N's IP address is 192.168.1.1.

Would I set the WET610N's IP address to 192.168.1.2 then the WRT160N's Static IP to 192.168.2.1?

Also, would I leave the WRT160N's DHCP Server enabled?

Use IP addresses outside the range of the 610N's DHCP server. I forget what is uses for a default range.

If you convert the WRT160N to an AP, then you would disable its DHCP server and set its IP address (LAN side) to an IP in the 192.168.1.X range.

I'm not well versed with all of this networking stuff.

My WRT610N's info. from the web management page:

Local IP address is: 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP Server: Enable
Start IP Address: 192.168.1.100

Basically, I'm making it so the WET610N is like a wired ethernet cable running from my WRT610N to the WRT160N, but instead of the wired ethernet cable I have the WET610N.

I don't need to use the four ethernet ports on the WRT160N. All I need is for it to act as a wireless access point. DD-WRT has an option to set it as that.

So, I could just then disable the WRT160N's DHCP server and set its Local IP address to 192.168.1.2? Or would it be 192.168.2.1?

Thanks for all the help Tim!

So what would be an IP address in the LAN range of the WRT610N, but outside its DHCP server range?

Could you give me one I could use?

Connect/Config with 3rd party switch?

Can you do the initial setup using a non-linksys/cisco router?
I've got this device and would like to set it up, but the software will not find it even though it's the only 2 things connected to the switch. (netgear FS105)
Do I have to buy a Linksys SoHo router to setup the bridge to connect to the wireless network?

Can you do the initial setup using a non-linksys/cisco router?
I've got this device and would like to set it up, but the software will not find it even though it's the only 2 things connected to the switch. (netgear FS105)
Do I have to buy a Linksys SoHo router to setup the bridge to connect to the wireless network?
You can do the setup from any brand switch or router.

Take a look at the User Manual, Chapter 3.

How to Access the Web-Based Utility
To access the web-based utility, launch the web browser on your computer, and enter the Router’s default IP address, 192.168.1.1 or http://wrt160n.com in the Address field.

You might need to set the TCP/IP address of the computer you're using for setup temporarily to 192.168.1.X (try 192.168.1.10) to access the web setup.

You then need to assign an IP address to the WET610N in your router's address range.

wet610n setup

this device is virtually useless for a business enviornment because both the network it's to be connected to and the wireless network it's to be connected to have to both be present to set the device up. there are many applications where there may not be a wired connection available, hence the use for a wireless bridge :)

Real life tests - 2,4GHz, mixed vendors, and tests passed

I spent hours on browsing web choosing the right box to connect my TV-area to the router w/our ethernet cables. Powerline or wireless? Cannot decide w/out trying both, but this is possible after buying only...

I really regret i could not find reviews of paired devices: Netgear/Linksys/Dlink router with bridge from the same vendor.

I end up with accidentally purchased WET610n at good price via auction system - not new but still under warranty and with returning option. A little risky since I use dir-655 as a router (N, 2.4GHz only). It took me an hour to configure, another hour on troubleshooting (10mb on lan port of my laptop while on batteries), but finally I 'm surprised with my (good) results.
My source for videos and data is Synology 210j, connected to the router via GEth cable. WET610n connected to router on 2,4G band, AES. Results:
- watching HD 1080p movies from iomega box - test passed
- as above + copying large files from laptop (aprox 8MB/s transfer shown) - passed
- watching mkv 720p and 1080p mkv movies - passed, some delays could happed when using FF a lot
- file copying speed (laptop connected to WET610n) - 8MB/s stable download, 6MB/s when using wireless G devices (cell phone)

I'm surprised since my results seems to be better than results available on the web, using only 2.4 range in the apt building with about 10 SSID active. My laptop with its N interface is giving transfers between 1 and 10MB/s, depending on the distance from router, hours, other users of my router etc. When connected via linksys box I'm getting 6-8MB/s stable transfers. My 2 days tests are showing even in 2.4 crowded band its enough bandwith for streaming HD video.

What is the serious drawback of this device (and this is why I still consider reurning it) is its price and lack of ethernet switch. Price of Wet610n is much lower comparing to wrt610n router, but adding GEth switch increase the total price beyound DAP-1522 or ... WNDR3700 price level (linksys and dlink dual band routers are 30% more expensive in my country than netgear). Especially the last one capable of dd-wrt seems to be the option.

Device Could not Be Found

I have tried and tried to install my Wet610N with no luck and I can't find any answers.
Whey I try to install I get Error 107 " Device could not be found. The setup Wizard cannot detect your device. My router is a D-Link DIR-601. I'm at my wits end. Any help??

Very poor real-life throughput

I bought the WET610N & E3200 to replace my trusty WRT54G/WET54G setup. The E3200 seems great and lives up to the various reviews, but the WET610N is a total disappointment, though pretty and easy to install. Using iperf, I did side-by-side measurements on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands with my HP laptop (Intel 5100 AGN chip, so full 300Mb/s support). The best I could squeeze out of the WET610N was 17Mb/s at a mere 2m/6' (clear air, 5GHz/40MHz and a reported signal strength of just ~50% - why so low?), not much better than 802.11g. It reported protocol bit rates up to the 300MB/s maximum, but that is fairly meaningless. My laptop managed 24MB/s under the same conditions and an impressive 37Mb/s on 2.4GHz *and* thru 20cm/8" of reinforced concrete (floors of my house, hence my need for a WLAN bridge solution)! There were no 802.11g or any other wireless devices attached during the tests and I used WPA2/AES encryption.
I think my side-by side tests show that the WET610N is clearly at fault and I suspect the culprit is the internal antenna. The WET610N specs give "Antenna Gain in dBi 1", which seems rather poor compared to some of the competitors with external antennae.
So, I think it's either find an external antenna or a bridge with a better antenna gain.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!