What's new

Linksys WRT-1900ACS Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RTN
Sounds like a new Device - faster processor perhaps - still AC1900 class (4*4:3) - if it follows the other WRT1900's (and WRT1200), should be a good performer..

It Looks like it has the same Marvell Armada 38X cpu and 512MB of ram as the v2 but it seems the cpu is clocked higher at 1.6 vs 1.3 on the v2 model.

Review should be up later today. Test results are in the charts. Disappointing 2.4 GHz performance, similar to the WRT1200AC. No wonder, because it's the same board with all four RF chains loaded.

Is the new wrt1900acs better than wrt1900ac version2?

I just bought the v2 and was wondering if it is worth the trouble to rma and get the newer model.

Is the new wrt1900acs better than wrt1900ac version2?

I just bought the v2 and was wondering if it is worth the trouble to rma and get the newer model.

At a first glance, it's a faster CPU, and more RAM. Both of which are particularly useful if you use the router for:

1) Sharing a disk (more RAM = more cacheing)
2) Run a VPN server or client
3) Tinker with OpenWRT

For wireless, as Tim indicated, it seems there isn't much change.

http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT1900ACS/ :)

WRT1200AC - Marvell Armada 385 @1.3GHz (Caiman)
WRT1900AC v1 - Marvell MV78230 @1.2GHz (Mamba)
WRT1900AC v2 - Marvell 88F6820 @1.3GHz (Cobra)
WRT1900ACS - Marvell 88F6820 @1.6 GHz (Shelby)

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_WRT1900ACS ;)

Too many errors on Wikidevi, I try not to rely to much on it. For example, it reports the CPU used by the new Synology router as being single-core. And I can tell you there are quite a few facts that are wrong on their Asus next-gen models ;)

Reactions: RTN
At a first glance, it's a faster CPU, and more RAM. Both of which are particularly useful if you use the router for:

1) Sharing a disk (more RAM = more cacheing)
2) Run a VPN server or client
3) Tinker with OpenWRT

For wireless, as Tim indicated, it seems there isn't much change.

The v2 actually has 512mb of ram as well so this seems just to be a cpu spec bump.

This is from the sysinfo page on my V2.

Code:
Mem: 99744K used, 410256K free, 0K shrd, 0K buff, 22552K cached

The v2 actually has 512mb of ram as well so this seems just to be a cpu spec bump.

This is from the sysinfo page on my V2.

Code:
Mem: 99744K used, 410256K free, 0K shrd, 0K buff, 22552K cached

Another article which had the specs wrong then, as they said this new model had double the RAM.

I wish bloggers stopped pretending to be journalists. Sigh.

Another article which had the specs wrong then, as they said this new model had double the RAM.

I wish bloggers stopped pretending to be journalists. Sigh.

There does seem to be alot of confusion around these units, Linksys isnt helping this though either. The V2 boxes they bumped the cpu speed to display the correct frequency of 1.3 but left the ram showing 256mb on the box. But if you go to the sysinfo page it displays the correct amount, which is the same as the wrt1200ac (that also has 512mb).

Now they are releasing this unit. I dont think Linksys is doing any favors to their users pumping out so many revisions.

There does seem to be alot of confusion around these units, Linksys isnt helping this though either. The V2 boxes they bumped the cpu speed to display the correct frequency of 1.3 but left the ram showing 256mb on the box. But if you go to the sysinfo page it displays the correct amount, which is the same as the wrt1200ac (that also has 512mb).

Now they are releasing this unit. I dont think Linksys is doing any favors to their users pumping out so many revisions.

IMHO, the V2 shouldn't even exist. Not with this new model with an actual different model name coming out so soon after, and having an actual new SKU rather than just a cryptic "V2", which has always been highly confusing for Linksys customers (don't we all remember the WRT54G days, with its 8 or 9 revisions?)

So now people with V1 and V2 will have a brick with no future firmware updates.

I believe Linksys already said they were committed into long-term support for that model. This is really no different from other manufacturers who also release a new flagship router every 12 months.

I believe Linksys already said they were committed into long-term support for that model. This is really no different from other manufacturers who also release a new flagship router every 12 months.

I think there should be some type of trade in program with revisions being released so close together.

The 2.4GHz numbers are pretty low compared to the V1, which is pretty strange...

I trust the testing. No question there...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!