What's new

Linux on acer easystore homeserver/Thecus N4100pro, is it possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unionaire

New Around Here
Ubuntu server is on my mind right now and I wonder if it was possible to boot linux from an external USB stick, and use software raid for the rest four slots in the box.

The reason why I need to install a linux server is because I wanted RAID support and other features offered by a standard server. The nerfed features on a lot of NAS boxes just don't do the trick.

I'm currently eying on Easystore home server and thecus N4100PRO. Performance isn't really an issue here since it's for home use, some 30-40MB/s read write would be more than enough, even 20MB/s is bearable. In fact, I'm even gonna go for Seagate Low Power drives to cut down heat, power consumption, noise and $$. I also read from your site that seagate drives have better stability in RAID configurations. (thanks!)

Easystore is a much better buy hardware wise, it's got better CPU, RAM and even a 1T HDD. On the other hand, though, not supporting RAID is a big downside.

Some say that Windows Home Server's Drive Expansion feature is better than raid by indicating that the data stored on the drive are safe (even though it's not fail resistant like RAID1 or 5 or 6) without much details. I googled and couldn't find much details on Drive Expansion feature, so how it is better than RAID is beyond me. I hope folks here can enlighten me on the Drive Expansion feature as how this "new" technology helps keeping your data safe without using a RAID-like config, or maybe the linked article is just misleading.

Thecus 4100pro will probably be my safe bet right now because even if I can't install linux on it, it had everything I ask for, but you can't beat the price point of Acer easystore product.

One last question, most of the cheap NAS products on the market now are using software RAID, right?

Sorry for the clustered writing, it is just that after a lot of reading, I have too much in mind right now and not able to think straight. Please help me decide, thanks.:cool:

VGA header? does it mean 4100pro has a built-in video card?

Following your link, I was unable to find more information about installing linux on 4100pro, would you please share more details?

Thank you for the reply.

Last edited:
I don't know if you're still shopping, but just in case, I have the Thecus n4100pro, and thought I'd share my experience.

First off, the n4100pro already runs a barebones Linux 2.6.23, and already uses software raid (lvm + md). This gives it the ability to do online array expansion (adding a disk to a raid 5 for example), and the web interface it ships with allows you to do that. It also uses cups for acting as a print server, etc.

It's true that the n4100pro doesn't have much cpu power or ram, but you probably don't need it. Some people have upgraded the ram in their n4100pro (it takes a single 400mhz ddr sodimm), but I don't have one to try (a 333mhz ddr sodimm didn't work for me).

The n4100pro also supports add-on software modules including MySQL, apache, webcam feed, etc.
http://www.thecus.com/product_module.php?cid=10&pid=77

I also installed the unofficial SSHD module, and through that was able to connect and set up a chroot in which I run Ubuntu Hardy (to be able to install packages more easily: X11, VNC, Azureus, Subversion, emacs, a better UPnP media server, squid, even Wine.)

I still use the primary linux installation and the Thecus web interface for the officially supported functionality (Raid, SMB, printing, USB monitoring, etc) -- great stability. Then I use my chroot linux for the fancy stuff.

Some of Thecus's other offerings have more RAM, faster CPU, but they are more expensive, and I know (only from experience) that the n4100pro is elegantly hackable -- don't have any experience with the others. I definitely recommend the n4100pro. Link @ Amazon

I forget exactly how I set up the chroot (I wish I had taken notes, because it was kind of a hassle -- it was pieced together from general ubuntu chroot instructions online) but fwiw here is the script I use to start it and my daemons. YMMV.

##
ROOT=/raid/data/main/debootstrap/chroot
rm -rf $ROOT/tmp/*
mount --bind /proc $ROOT/proc
mount --bind /sys $ROOT/sys
mount --bind /raid/data/ $ROOT/media/raid/
mkdir $ROOT/lib/modules/`uname -r`
mount --bind /lib/modules/`uname -r` $ROOT/lib/modules/`uname -r`
mount -t devpts none $ROOT/dev/pts/
chroot $ROOT /etc/init.d/ssh restart
chroot $ROOT /etc/init.d/ushare restart
chroot $ROOT svnserve -d -r /media/raid/svn/
chroot $ROOT su arya -c vncserver :1
##

What is chroot? and when you install stuff on a chrooted ubuntu, does it make it less efficient to run all the programs in that environment?

I intended to install rtorrent on the box but if it is less efficient and instable, I am afraid that running rtorrent on it would be a problem when I'm seeding large number of files.

What is chroot? and when you install stuff on a chrooted ubuntu, does it make it less efficient to run all the programs in that environment?

I intended to install rtorrent on the box but if it is less efficient and instable, I am afraid that running rtorrent on it would be a problem when I'm seeding large number of files.

It already includes a rudimentary bittorrent client; however, it will probably be a pain to set up the chroot if you're not already familiar with those concepts.

Even with the built-in functionality though it's a solid device and has everything you were looking for (linux-based raid, which lets you add drives without reformatting your existing raid).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!