What's new

Load RT-AC68U firmware on model DSL-AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DSL will work with last firmware as parent aimesh router only, not as node and not in AP-mode (router mode is ok, only have to double NAT).
The concept is to be used as first device on DSL line and you can mesh others as node to it.

I all the time flash firmwares over WiFi, never had a problem with it - I know better would be ...

DSL will work with last firmware as parent aimesh router only, not as node and not in AP-mode (router mode is ok, only have to double NAT).
The concept is to be used as first device on DSL line and you can mesh others as node to it.

I all the time flash firmwares over WiFi, never had a problem with it - I know better would be ...

Thanks. Yes, I understand you can flash firmware over WiFi, the problem is if you want to flash DSL-AC68U with Merlin. It is not possible over GUI, you have to do it through recovery and through recovery there is no WiFi, while I have all my ports fried. So I can either throw the DSL-AC68U away or I find a way to flash Merlin without using physical ports and use the router as an AP.

I managed to get it working!! I had to do some additional steps to change the product I’d of the router.. and boom my DSL is now an RT with working aimesh
Gringosteve (or King), any chance of one of you posting the instruction steps to load RT-AC68U firmware into DSL-AC68U and make it into an AiMesh node? I have no need for the DSL function and just want to convert it into a secondary router node to work with the primary router which is ASUS RT-AC88U.

Gringosteve (or King), any chance of one of you posting the instruction steps to load RT-AC68U firmware into DSL-AC68U and make it into an AiMesh node? I have no need for the DSL function and just want to convert it into a secondary router node to work with the primary router which is ASUS RT-AC88U.
you would better write @Gringosteve or @King that they may get a mail notification and read your question.

Thanks. Yes, I understand you can flash firmware over WiFi, the problem is if you want to flash DSL-AC68U with Merlin. It is not possible over GUI, you have to do it through recovery and through recovery there is no WiFi, while I have all my ports fried. So I can either throw the DSL-AC68U away or I find a way to flash Merlin without using physical ports and use the router as an AP.
Isn't there a way to load a firmware with SSH to the router? Think I read something like copy with mtd-write2 or something like that. Sorry if I totaly missed this.

Last edited:
Isn't there a way to load a firmware with SSH to the router? Think I read something like copy with mtd-write2 or something like that. Sorry if I totaly missed this.
Hi, @Grisu did you ever get clear instructions on how to flash RT-AC68U on the DSL-AC68U?
I would like to do it as I want to use the router for an Aimesh node.

Cheers.

I managed to get it working!! I had to do some additional steps to change the product I’d of the router.. and boom my DSL is now an RT with working aimesh
Is there anyone that can help me to change the Product ID of my DSL AC68U? Or any guide I can follow somewhere in the net? Thank you.

Is there anyone that can help me to change the Product ID of my DSL AC68U? Or any guide I can follow somewhere in the net? Thank you.
Think you have to do it in cfe, safe it, change name with hex-editor from DSL-AC68U to RT-AC1900 and upload it again, I would use this name instead of RT-AC68U to have same length!

Thank you. All I have to to is flash it?
First take a backup and then flash and do reset wirh WPS button, restart and hold ~15seconds and relese.

I flashed official RT-AC68u firmware in recovery mode with Asus recovery tool. Now I can use repeater mode and ap mode.
When I connect via ssh to modem and executed
Code:
nvram set cfg_device_list="<RT-AC68U>192.168.1.1>38:2C:4A:CA:D1:B8>0"
nvram set dms_friendly_name="RT-AC68U-D1B8"
nvram set computer_name="RT-AC68U-D1B8"
nvram set productid="RT-AC68U"
nvram set lld2d_hostname="RT-AC68U"
nvram set asus_device_list="<3>RT-AC68U>192.168.1.1>38:2C:4A:CA
:D1:B8>0>asus>255.255.255.0>1"
nvram set wps_modelnum="RT-AC68U"
nvram set daapd_friendly_name="RT-AC68U-D1B8"
nvram set wps_device_name="RT-AC68U"
nvram set odmpid="RT-AC68U"

After execution I am able to see AiMesh node in operation mode list. But when I select it and move forward it is factory resetting and I see dsl-ac68u nvram settings come back. I can not use it is in AiMesh node mode. How did you solve this issue @King @Gringosteve

Same need here - DSL-AC68U with damaged DSL modem after FW upgrade. It would be great to use it as a AiMesh node.
Thanks in advance.

I wish I could but the instructions I have came from a source which I’m not allowed to quote. I’m not entirely sure why but I’m sure there is a very valid reason for it. Apologies to any admins I have offended, and if anyone can explain why I cannot reference that source perhaps I can find a way to share the info I have without breaking the rule?

Hi Gringosteve

I'm nearly there, just missing a step or two.

Can you start a conversation with me via InBox? I can't start one with you for some odd reason.

Last edited:
I think Personal messaging has been disabled for me as I was banned for a while. Ask the question here and I will try to answer without linking to the original source etc.. I hope that would be allowed. I think the issue was that the instructions I posted were originally for converting an ISP specific router.. even though that was not what I was trying to achieve

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!