What's new

Local DNS names

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

calzor suzay

Regular Contributor
I have an RT-AC86U and a RT-AC68U in a mesh on 384.19
Am I right in assuming anything you set in the GUI at the 'network map' part as in 'Clients name' has absolutely no effect for local DNS purposes?

Is there anyway to make it so it does?
I searched about and the other way is creating and setting up dnsmasq.conf.add but seems a manual process.

Am I right in assuming anything you set in the GUI at the 'network map' part as in 'Clients name' has absolutely no effect for local DNS purposes?
Correct.

Is there anyway to make it so it does?
No, but you can set host names for clients by creating a reservation for them at LAN > DHCP Server > Manually Assigned IP...

No, but you can set host names for clients by creating a reservation for them at LAN > DHCP Server > Manually Assigned IP...

Is there anything I need to do to make this work effectively?
I thought this should work but out of 7 devices with reserved IPs 2 work, 1 is the box I'm on and pinging so it's probably just resolving itself, all the others bar a NAS fail to resolve.

actually after running nslookup of the 1 that did work (nas) it says

Server: RT-AC86U
Address: 192.168.1.1

*** No internal type for both IPv4 and IPv6 Addresses (A+AAAA) records available for nasx

when I ping it adds .local to the end so not 100% sure who, what or how that works, there's nothing in my win10 hosts file

No, this should work without issue provided the clients are configured to use DHCP. You often need to reboot the clients after making any changes on the router so that they pick up those changes.

when I ping it adds .local to the end so not 100% sure who, what or how that works, there's nothing in my win10 hosts file
Make sure you have specified a domain name for your LAN at LAN > LAN IP. Something like home.lan, and then reboot all your devices.

Can you make it .lan?
I'm trying to make the FQDN as short as possible so mydevice.lan would work.
Or could I just use mydevice and the DNS request will lookup in .lan or would I need to specify the "DNS suffix for this connection" option as .lan in my Win10 network settings?

Can you make it .lan?
I'm trying to make the FQDN as short as possible so mydevice.lan would work.
You could use .lan but whatever you choose remember not to put the leading dot in the router's Domain Name field. So that would be just lan

Or could I just use mydevice and the DNS request will lookup in .lan or would I need to specify the "DNS suffix for this connection" option as .lan in my Win10 network settings?
If you setup your clients to use DHCP properly (i.e. use the defaults) there is no need to manually specify the "DNS suffix for this connection" as that information is obtained from the router. Then you can use nslookup mydevice.lan or nslookup mydevice, both will work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!