What's new

Localhosts losing connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crybaby

New Around Here
Hello, I was directed here from Reddit. Sorry if this is the wrong location for this thread! I'll just post what I said here, if that's ok!

I use localhosts between programs to talk to each other, & ever since I started using a Netgear Nighthawk R7000P, my connections have been disconnecting & I have to restart the program to reissue the connection. I've written rules in the firewall, & turned the firewall off, but that does not seem to help. I used a different (eeros) router before, & did not have this problem. I use a few localhosts to connect things while streaming, such as local connections between my phone & computer, websockets between programs (OBS & a stream bot), Streamelements connecting to a custom bot, etc. They lose connection after an hour or two & I have to restart them. I'm unsure what to even Google for these answers as when I look for stuff they're talking about opening ports outside (no need) & for creating my own localhost programs. Even if someone can help point me in a direction for Google as I don't know what term this is. Thanks ♥

I have a Nighthawk R7000P. I am hard-wired to the router. I am on Firmware Version V1.3.3.154_10.1.86.

What exactly do you mean by this? Are you talking about the Windows "hosts" file or something else? Describe in detail what are you doing.

For one example, I have programs which reach out to Twitch through their API. They use what I assume to be localhosts on my end to connect to other programs & tell them what to do. I also use websockets to communicate between other programs such as a self hosted script running on my computers end, to OBS. It loses connection seemingly randomly, & I have to restart the program to reconnect the two. Another example that may be easier to find out from me (since I'm already confused) is how StreamElements & OBS use their custom bot name, which I assume is sending the information to OBS itself & rerouting it to the custom chatbot that I set in OBS.

Sorry if I'm confusing, I'm confused myself. I will try to be as clear as I can!

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with that software or how it works.

They use what I assume to be localhosts on my end to connect to other programs & tell them what to do.
"localhosts" isn't a thing. This sounds like something you've invented. "localhost" is the hostname of the loopback adapter (127.0.0.1) of the local machine. Each machine on the local network will also have its own unique host name (e.g. DESKTOP-123ABC9) and IP address.

"localhosts" isn't a thing. This sounds like something you've invented. "localhost" is the hostname of the loopback adapter (127.0.0.1) of the local machine. Each machine on the local network will also have its own unique host name (e.g. DESKTOP-123ABC9) and IP address.

I guess I mean websockets then? I'm using a locally hosted port on my computer to communicate with other programs.