What's new

Locating cable modem BEFORE moca poe filter and splitter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rs1987

Occasional Visitor
I currently have my cable modem at the point of entry under the stairs. I run an ethernet cable from the modem to the router in my office. Unfortunately it goes under the hallway carpet, which is not ideal. I was therefore thinking of moving it to the office, where the coax wall plug is right near my router.

However, the successive attentuation of the cable and the splitters makes me think I should leave the cable modem at the point of entry as it's power levels are much better there instead of being right on the borderline. It's likely to give me a better quality of service.

In this scenario, Diagram A below shows the recommended layout according to most documents I read.

However, I would like to know if I can lay it out as you see in Diagram B. The cable modem will not be connected to the Moca network at all - it has an ethernet cable to my router and no return cable into the Moca network.

In this scenario, surely it would be better to place the MoCA POE filter as shown just before the MoCA splitter that comprises the two "legs" of my MoCA-enabled network?

The way I see it, even though my cable modem uses frequencies only up to 450Mhz, this would mean that there would be absolutely no risk of interference from the MoCA adapters and the MoCA network would still be isolated from the cable provider, as there are no other cable-network connected devices on the house coaxial - they only such device would be my cable modem.

Is there any technical reason why I should not lay it out as in Diagram B (I also just happen to have that 2500MHz splitter lying around, which while not MoCA certified, is probably ok given its wide band operation; if I lay it out as in Diagram A I need to wait a week for another MoCA certified splitter to arrive)

Moca Layout.jpg

If there's no MoCA requirements on your cable modem, then I would say Option B is better. Having the PoE Filter as described on B allows better signal strength (less dB loss due to reflection on the PoE) between MoCA Adapters. Which MoCA version are you attempting to deploy? MoCA splitters are recommended but not required in many cases, specially if you have a good quality splitter. ALso, you are unlikely to see any difference in speed between options A and B at the MoCA level (your mileage may vary :)) So I suggest you test option B first.

If there's no MoCA requirements on your cable modem, then I would say Option B is better. Having the PoE Filter as described on B allows better signal strength (less dB loss due to reflection on the PoE) between MoCA Adapters. Which MoCA version are you attempting to deploy? MoCA splitters are recommended but not required in many cases, specially if you have a good quality splitter. ALso, you are unlikely to see any difference in speed between options A and B at the MoCA level (your mileage may vary :)) So I suggest you test option B first.

Confirmed: no MoCA requirement on the cable modem.

I'm going to be deploying MoCA 2.5 using two Gocoax adapters which I received the other day. The MoCA splitter is a Starburst SB-2WMS-2.0.

Neat! I have the Zyxel 2.0 bonded and achieve 940Mbps between two devices without issue. Can I ask why you are even connecting that MoCA Splitter to the rest of the coax? Why not simply connect the two MoCA runs with a barrel connector? That's what I did :)

Why not simply connect the two MoCA runs with a barrel connector? That's what I did :)

<facepalm> You're absolutely correct. Originally I had planned to relocate the cable modem to my office, which means that the splitter was necessary, so I bought one.

In this case, it's in fact not needed and neither is the POE filter, since I don't need to connect the cable run to the provider's coax. I feel kinda stupid now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!