What's new

Login Credentials rejected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Midlevel-User

Occasional Visitor
Hi - somewhat of a newbie here and first time poster. I have an odd problem that I have not found a continuous thread on (just sporadic mention) despite deep searching.
Issue is this: After I upgraded to .15 release for Merlin, I can only get into my router via certain endpoints, e.g. works on my phone (via wifi and browser, not the app) and hard connected PC, but not on my iPad or laptop (via wifi) - although it used to work from ANY endpoint before I upgraded. Further, I do not have VPN running on any endpoints or the router, Do not have router access tied to just select IPs, Am not connecting via guest network, Am not running mesh setup - just the one router.
Also, choice of browser shows no difference.
Any particular other setting that could be causing this ? Any method I should use to clear something on the endpoints that cannot connect (other then deleting all history on the browsers, rebooting device, etc.) ?
Thanks !
Asus AC-5300, .15 release.

Hi - somewhat of a newbie here and first time poster. I have an odd problem that I have not found a continuous thread on (just sporadic mention) despite deep searching.
Issue is this: After I upgraded to .15 release for Merlin, I can only get into my router via certain endpoints, e.g. works on my phone (via wifi and browser, not the app) and hard connected PC, but not on my iPad or laptop (via wifi) - although it used to work from ANY endpoint before I upgraded. Further, I do not have VPN running on any endpoints or the router, Do not have router access tied to just select IPs, Am not connecting via guest network, Am not running mesh setup - just the one router.
Also, choice of browser shows no difference.
Any particular other setting that could be causing this ? Any method I should use to clear something on the endpoints that cannot connect (other then deleting all history on the browsers, rebooting device, etc.) ?
Thanks !
Asus AC-5300, .15 release.
Would add that I can get to the login page, but it doesn’t accept my credentials.

What firmware did you update from? Is this the RT-AC5300?

Please don't post the same questions in other threads. :)

Hi - been following your posts for sometime - Thank you for responding. Upgraded from 13. Tried 14 but had to revert and just held for 15 to come out. And yes - RT-AC5300.

Jumping back and forth between old/new firmware isn't ideal for solving bugs/issues. I suggest flashing 384.17_0 release final and if needed, doing a full M&M Config from the link in my signature below. :)

Was thinking about upgrading to the GT-AC5300, but saw in some older threads that Merlin cannot run on it. Still true ?

No GT model is RMerlin supported. :)

Thx LLD. Another related question for you - I am buying a second RT-AC5300 and just noticed that ASUS came out with new FW a few weeks ago. Should I update the unit with ASUSs latest FW before flashing with Merlin ? Or just go straight to Merlin regardless of which version of ASUS FW the router comes with ?

No intermediary steps are needed. Flash the RMerlin firmware 384.17_0 release final and follow with a full reset/Initialize (I would also format the JFFS partition too) with a minimal and manual configuration too.

@LD&D -
I got The new router, did new flash, Full reset, full M&M, etc. And all is working great however my 5.1 SSIDs (regular and guest) either don’t transmit or don’t accept the PW when entered (have seen both behavior after reboot via GUI or pulling plug). have played with different channels, and frequencies but really odd as 5.2 works fine and so it seems 5 GHZ is transmitting well. Also lights are on showing good radio. Any ideas short of a full new flash, etc. ? Thx !
RT-AC5300 with 384.17_0

Glad that almost everything is working for you. :)

Are you using a new, never before used SSID? Are they 8 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, special characters, or smiley faces?

Are the passwords 16 characters with the same characteristics?

Can you test with a Guest SSID with the above constraints?

HTH. :)

Glad that almost everything is working for you. :)

Are you using a new, never before used SSID? Are they 8 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, special characters, or smiley faces?

Are the passwords 16 characters with the same characteristics?

Can you test with a Guest SSID with the above constraints?

HTH. :)
Thanks LD&D for prompt response. My SSIDs are 9-12 long. Would that make a huge difference ? All PWs are 12 long alphanumeric only. I also noticed another posting where someone was having identical issue with 5.1 radio. I posted there as well. Not sure whether here or there best place to work it out. And again thank you - as other than this quirky thing, I was able to get onto the Admin page fine, speeds rock, etc. !
Last thought - and not sure this would affect things but hoping they wouldn’t. I flashed, factory reset, did M&M, reboots etc. All as you indicated in prior posts, but then connected to my ISP with the thinking that router will be fully configured and secure before I connect to the cable modem. Is there anything unique about having the ISP connected ahead of M&M changes, etc. That would affect this ?

But are they new, never before used SSID's? :)

Connecting the ISP last is how I almost always do it too (I don't sit there configuring a router at the customers home), I've never encountered an issue doing it that way.

Also, please don't cross-post across the forum the same question(s).

L&LD. Just wanted to let you know that the full reset and M&M did the trick - I had a dead 5.1 radio on my new router, but RMAed it and all good now. thx again !
One last question -
Want to isolate IOT devices on guest network so they do not see/comm with each other. turned on AP Isolation but when i logged into that same network and used a utility to see what other devices I could see (expecting nothing), I still saw all the same devices as before I turned on AP isolation.
Note - I did this on the 5.1 GHz band as that is where most of my current IOTs (ex Roku, Alexa, etc.) are - but presume that wouldn’t be a material point.
Only thing I can think of is maybe I need to reboot the router (rather than just Apply) so it starts fresh with the new setting ??? Hoping something small rather than issue with AP Isolation overall - or some new quirk on my set up.
On Merlin 17 and an RT-AC5300. Thx !

What utility did you use and what device(s) did you use it on?

Did you reboot the device to clear its cache?

When I am testing and changing settings, I will always reboot, wait 10 minutes for the router to settle and fully load all modules and then test again (again, the testing device(s) will also be rebooted too).

I would also update to the latest RMerlin 384.18 final for your router too and test again to see if anything changes with that too.

HTH.

Thanks L&LD -
Using NetAnalyzer (app on iOS) to see what else on the WiFi SSID.
And will indeed reboot and see if that works. Will let you know

Hi - Reboot didn’t do anything. Can still see and comm with other devices on same guest network.
Again set AP isolation on the 5.1 channel in Pro settings.
Researched things but don’t see this as a common issue. Any insights ?