What's new

Long range LAN extension

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Given that the OP is running power on the same route I would install a small water proof enclosure mid span and put an inexpensive switch ($15 ) in the enclosure to act as an amplifier/repeater. Put some surge protectors at both ends of the run for a few bucks more.

The power to lights will be ON/OFF, not a constant power supply. The idea is not bad, but needs additional constant power line. One outdoor application switch on the furthest pole, not in a box underground, may solve the CAT6 cable problem. PoE powered outdoor switches are available too, but they need PoE in the house. A switch somewhere in the middle may allow future network expansion - IP cameras, outdoor AP, branching out to another area, etc.

Cost of cable: Direct Burial Cable per foot

RG6 = $0.15
Fiber = $0.66
Cat 6 = $0.19

Given that the OP is running power on the same route I would install a small water proof enclosure mid span and put an inexpensive switch ($15 ) in the enclosure to act as an amplifier/repeater. Put some surge protectors at both ends of the run for a few bucks more.

The switch would probably last a year or two depending on the climate and would be much less expensive than long range adapters or fiber optic adapters.

Cat 6 cable would future proof for most people for the foreseeable future.

A friend of mine is using this. He says no issue at all. It's from china so it takes time. He bought it from Ebay with double price. lol
Fiber optic cables are not expensive these days.

Thanks for all the support!

I think I like the reliability of a dedicated line the full length of the driveway, rather than an amplifier mid way that will last only a year or two.

since that is preterminated, you should not pull it through conduit. too easy to damage. Since the specs are not provided ( no way to match the light wavelength spec, and it does not appear to have a support wire for handling/pulling, nor the min bend radius, i would not touch it. the only option would be for laying in a trench with overburden protection.

ATT and others use a fiber cable with a support wire and very tight min bend radius. Don't know the wavelength.

Thanks for all the support!

I think I like the reliability of a dedicated line the full length of the driveway, rather than an amplifier mid way that will last only a year or two.

The life will depend on the climate in your area and how well the mid-split switch form rain and snow. Switches are readily available anywhere so if and when the one in service fails you pick up a new one. Better yet buy two and keep one on a shelf as a spare.

In any case you have lots of options be it fiber or copper.

since that is preterminated, you should not pull it through conduit. too easy to damage. Since the specs are not provided ( no way to match the light wavelength spec, and it does not appear to have a support wire for handling/pulling, nor the min bend radius, i would not touch it. the only option would be for laying in a trench with overburden protection.

ATT and others use a fiber cable with a support wire and very tight min bend radius. Don't know the wavelength.
I’d go with unterminated, blow it thru the conduiit and get it tested/terminated - indeed I’d blow thru 2-3 pairs and get them ALL term’d/tested as if the site is remote travel time to site will cost you more than the actual job time, and that way there’s redundant pairs for future expansion or in case of failure

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!